WEST POINT – Charles E. Bennett, 70, passed away Friday, May 17, 2013, at Baptist Memorial Medical Center-GT, in Columbus. He was born July 31, 1942, in Chickasaw County to Willie Frances Nichols and Melvin Floyd Bennett Sr. He was a fitter welder for Ellis Steel for 18 years. He was a member of Bethel Baptist Church in Aberdeen and a Veteran of Mississippi National Guard, retiring in June 1991. He served in the 223 Battlion at Houston. He married Robbie Sutherland Bennett on Nov. 29, 1985, in Chickasaw County in Houston.
Services will be at 2 p.m. Sunday at Calvert Funeral Home Chapel with Bro. Danny Washington officiating, assisted by Bro. John Ray Hamilton. Burial will follow in Memorial Garden Cemetery West Point.
Survivors include wife, Robbie Bennett of West Point; four daughters, Robbie Lynn Tutor (Stanley) of Houlka, Angela Hester (Danny) of Pontotoc, Stacey Armstrong (Ray) and Pamela Briscoe (Jeff) all of Grenada; two sons, Matthew Bennett (Janice) of Pontotoc and Jason Brown (Stephanie) of Saltillo; 23 grandchildren; 16 great grandchildren; and one sister, Ruth Bennett Reedy of Grenada.
Preceding him in death were his grandson, Timothy Coats; his parents; and brother, Melvin Floyd Bennett Jr.
Pallbearers will be James Reedy, Barry Reedy, Eric Fretwell, Joey Fretwell, Kenneth Fretwell, and William Hamilton. Honorary Pallbearers will be Bobby Fretwell, Tommy Williams, Earl Gilreath, Kenneth Mobley, Ralph Coggins and Alvin Griffin.
Visitation is 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday at the funeral home.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Learning to smile forever July 19, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Real men rise above the status quo July 23, 2016
- Please clean up the Carnegie Library July 23, 2016
- Getting a good start at school July 24, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago