WEST POINT – Charles E. Bennett, 70, passed away Friday, May 17, 2013, at Baptist Memorial Medical Center-GT, in Columbus. He was born July 31, 1942, in Chickasaw County to Willie Frances Nichols and Melvin Floyd Bennett Sr. He was a fitter welder for Ellis Steel for 18 years. He was a member of Bethel Baptist Church in Aberdeen and a Veteran of Mississippi National Guard, retiring in June 1991. He served in the 223 Battlion at Houston. He married Robbie Sutherland Bennett on Nov. 29, 1985, in Chickasaw County in Houston.
Services will be at 2 p.m. Sunday at Calvert Funeral Home Chapel with Bro. Danny Washington officiating, assisted by Bro. John Ray Hamilton. Burial will follow in Memorial Garden Cemetery West Point.
Survivors include wife, Robbie Bennett of West Point; four daughters, Robbie Lynn Tutor (Stanley) of Houlka, Angela Hester (Danny) of Pontotoc, Stacey Armstrong (Ray) and Pamela Briscoe (Jeff) all of Grenada; two sons, Matthew Bennett (Janice) of Pontotoc and Jason Brown (Stephanie) of Saltillo; 23 grandchildren; 16 great grandchildren; and one sister, Ruth Bennett Reedy of Grenada.
Preceding him in death were his grandson, Timothy Coats; his parents; and brother, Melvin Floyd Bennett Jr.
Pallbearers will be James Reedy, Barry Reedy, Eric Fretwell, Joey Fretwell, Kenneth Fretwell, and William Hamilton. Honorary Pallbearers will be Bobby Fretwell, Tommy Williams, Earl Gilreath, Kenneth Mobley, Ralph Coggins and Alvin Griffin.
Visitation is 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday at the funeral home.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Okolona talks fire protection March 17, 2017
- CATHY SPENCER: Teacher of the Week March 21, 2017
- Houston WIN offers iPhone class March 21, 2017
- Deadline for Foundation Scholarships March 21, 2017
- Houston seeks to climb the mountain March 22, 2017
- Houlka names new principal March 24, 2017
- Fishing forecast for area reservoirs looks good March 23, 2017
- Chandler to head industrial development March 23, 2017
- EDITORIAL Severe Weather Awareness Week March 23, 2017
- NMMC offers weight loss for state employees March 22, 2017
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago