CARA CHISOLM: Remember with honor
One of the early precursors of the present official date occurred in Columbus, on April 25, 1866, when a local women’s group decorated both Confederate and Union graves – a healing as well as a memorial gesture.
Since 1971, the official date has been the last Monday in May. The day is set aside for us to demonstrate our appreciation for our veterans, our service members, and our country and, especially, to remember those who served and are no longer with us.
In the week prior to Memorial Day, May 21 – 25, the Pilot Club will have the Missing Man Table on display at the Carnegie Library.
This is a time when American flags are quite visible throughout our communities as grave decorations, in parades, at public buildings, at Memorial Day programs, and flying proudly from many homes and businesses. As we prepare our flags for display, this is an ideal time to inspect their condition.
As you examine these flags for wear and tear, please replace them if needed. The old flags can be retired with honor at the Flag Retirement Ceremony to be conducted at Joe Brigance Park on June 14. This is a joint effort of the Pilot Club of Houston, American Legion Post 95 and VFW Post 7149.
Boxes will be placed n several locations to collect flags that are being retired. You may bring flags to any of the local banks, the Carnegie Library, Griffin Motors, the Houston Civic Center, Pearson’s Discount Drugs, Rex Sanderson’s Law Office, and the Chickasaw Journal
Many thanks for your continued support of our community flag retirement efforts.
Please plan to bring the family and join us for the Flag Retirement at 5 p.m. on Friday, June 14.
You will be glad you did.
Cara Chisolm is a member of and Patriotism Chair for the Houston Pilot Club.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Signs are illegal in rights-of-way April 17, 2017
- FLOYD INGRAM: Three big days in Spring April 20, 2017
- Three busted for possession of meth April 20, 2017
- Ag Safety Day April 21, 2017
- Man convicted in Okolona shooting April 21, 2017
- Dollar General Ribbon Cutting April 23, 2017
- Certified Nurse Assistance Class seeks applicants April 23, 2017
- WEDDING: Stone/Fisackerly April 23, 2017
- TEACHER OF THE WEEK! April 22, 2017
- GLENN MOLETTE: America and shooting back April 22, 2017
- Winford White: I totally disagree with your schools consolidation...
- Winford White: That is good News for Okolona. Or shall we say, it...
- Winford White: I strongly agree! if someone can afford to pay a T...
- Winford White: Keep up the good works Chickasaw County because th...
- Winford White: Winford White, CPC - Winford's Consulting : It is...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago