VARDAMAN: 2013 class handed honors, diplomas
Parents, faculty, students and the entire community gathered at Vardaman High School Gymnasium Saturday afternoon to see a number of honors, awards and diplomas handed to seniors. The ceremony saw each student’s name and list of their accomplishments read and their name and personal photos displayed on the wall in the gym.
“We worked hard for these diplomas,” said Valedictorian Summer Williams. “As we walk out of the doors our heads are held high because we are graduates of Vardaman High School.”
Williams was named the 2013 Vardaman High School Valedictorian after maintaining a 95-average – or above – during her four years in high school. Williams was also vice president of the student council.
“The first day of first grade we made friends, learned how to mind our teachers and learned our ABC’s,” said Williams. “Today, we have learned so much more and while we are different, we all still attended Vardaman schools. That will be the tie that binds us to this community for the rest of our life.”
Salutatorian Jenna Campbell also spoke of the time spent at Vardaman High School.
“As high school graduates this time at Vardaman High School is ending,” said Campbell. “Our diplomas and the friendships we made are proof the time we spent here was not wasted.”
Both Williams and Campbell also thanked those who helped them reach this high school milestone.
“From the Vardaman High School Class of 2013, we want to thank the teachers, principals, parents and this community for helping us graduate,” said Campbell. “We would not have made it without your love and support.”
The ceremony also saw senior observe a moment of silence for Casey Wilkerson who joined the district in 2000 and would have been part of this graduating class.
Saturday’s welcome was given by 2013 Class President Marc Gracia. The invocation was given by Briana Wright and the benediction was given by Shavon Welch. The crowd was led in singing the Vardaman Alma Mater by Tamara Mister, Deidre Rose and Shavon Welch.
The day also saw each graduating senior handed a rose to present to their mother or guardian.
Following the recessional – and as tradition – the Class of 2013 gathered in the back of the gym to hurl their caps into the air.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Culinary arts teacher opens up new world for students July 24, 2016
- Walker takes second at Pros of Tomorrow July 24, 2016
- Scott, Hardin honored by ICC July 24, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Eaton Automotive finishes season July 26, 2016
- Weston Reed Foundation to offer free physicals July 26, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago