Houlka School hosts Olympic day for students
HOULKA – Students at Houlka Attendance Center ran, jumped and played all in the name of good health and good fun May 20 as the staff hosted Olympic Day again this year.
The annual field day in May has been revamped to include more than just games and helps children become more active on the way to good heatlh.
School nurse, Chandra Warren, said the game incorporate more physical activity and education, but still provide students with an end-of-year stress reliever and reward going into summer break.
“The School Health Council puts it on every year and it has more physical education but we try to work in some fun for them,” Warren said.
Warren pointed to the sno-cone run and said when she first laid out the path, it was just a running track, so she added in a balance beam to cross while carrying a big, plastic sno-cone.
“We tried to make it more challenging and tie in with the Olympic theme,” Warren said.
The day started with a fun run and walk and children moved through stations for a bean bag toss, basketball shoot, bowling game and more.
Warren said in addition to physical health, exercise can lead to better learning because it relieves some of the mental stress of daily classes.
“Just think about it, when you sit there for a long time, how tired you get,” Warren said.
She added that the pre-kindergarten class began a new program this year and she hopes to spread it through the school. The Move to Learn program incorporates physical activity and exercise in the classroom to foster better learning.
“They do it in class,” Warren said. “It including exercises, singing and dancing and incorporates learning with it. They can do it standing right beside their chairs. It gets the blood going and energizes them so they can learn better.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Mantee woman charged with feed store burglary August 20, 2016
- Houlka buys body cams for PD August 24, 2016
- Lady Hilltoppers down East Webster, 2-1 August 24, 2016
- Associate Degrees awarded at ICC for Spring 2016 August 24, 2016
- Man arrested on drug charges August 24, 2016
- Work set for Tanglefoot pathway August 26, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: A quick look around town August 25, 2016
- Lady Hilltoppers struggle at plate August 25, 2016
- Pontotoc rains on Houston August 25, 2016
- MBN makes drug arrest August 25, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago