Time to wet a line
Annual fishing rodeo set for Saturday
By Lisa Voyles
It’s time for kids of all ages to throw a line in the water and see what comes up.
The annual Kid’s Fishing Rodeo is back and set for this Saturday at Davis Lake east of Houlka.
The event is open to children ages 4-17 at no charge as an opportunity to try a new sport and learn some fishing skills. The Houston Hawg Callers Bass club sponsors the event for children and youth and snacks and drinks are provided. The U.S. Forestry Service waives gate fees at the Recreation Area and also provides trophies in several categories that are awarded after a day of fishing.
This year, the newly formed Houston PLUS Civitan club is partnering in the event to provide extra manpower and supervision in the activities. The Civitan’s national platform is the support of developmentally delayed children and President Scott Murphree said the club members wanted to lend the Hawg Callers a hand at the event.
“Civitan caters so much to the developmentally delayed and we want to help out,” Murphree said. “We wanted to jump in there so everyone will feel comfortable.”
Participants will need to bring their own fishing pole, but bait, tackle, supervision and family-oriented fun are all provided by the sponsors.
Joey Cook of the Hawg Callers Bass club said registration will open at 7 a.m., and will be ongoing as children arrive. The event usually wraps up about 10:30 a.m. and snacks and drinks are provided.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Mantee woman charged with feed store burglary August 20, 2016
- Lady Hilltoppers down East Webster, 2-1 August 24, 2016
- Associate Degrees awarded at ICC for Spring 2016 August 24, 2016
- Man arrested on drug charges August 24, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Calling for help August 25, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Migrants jump out of the melting pot August 27, 2016
- Work set for Tanglefoot pathway August 26, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: A quick look around town August 25, 2016
- Lady Hilltoppers struggle at plate August 25, 2016
- Pontotoc rains on Houston August 25, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago