Spending summer on the court
HOUSTON – Summer is not just for swimming and camping as several youth from Houston are well aware.
They are spending their school break in the same fashion they wrapped up the school year, on the tennis court.
Several members of the Houston High School tennis team are extending their season in the Northeast Mississippi Junior tennis team summer league and have been traveling to area courts to compete.
The Houston Maroon took a team win over Booneville, 4-1, with Ezra Blissard taking a 6-2, 6-1 win over Adam Holley in boy’s singles and Brennan Byrne winning, 6-1, 6-0, over Star Rogers.
In boy’s doubles, Walt Harrington and Chase Eldridge fell to Booneville in three sets, 1-6, 7-6, 0-1, and the sister team of Abbie and Madison Mitchell blanked their opponents in girl’s doubles, 6-0, 6-0. Blissard teamed up with Brennan Byrne for a 6-4, 6-2 win in mixed doubles.
The Houston Maroon continued with a 3-2 team win over Saltillo as Lane Brandon defeated Payton Pierce, 6-3, 6-4, in boy’s singles and Harrington and Eldridge shut out their opponents, 6-0, 6-0, in boy’s doubles.
Madison Mitchell and Casey Jo Hollingsworth teamed up in girl’s doubles for a 6-0, 6-0 win. Cameron Byrne and Chapman Boyer fell 4-6, 1-6, in mixed doubles and Brennan Byrne took a loss in girl’s singles.
The team also scored a 4-1 team win over Kossuth with Eldridge winning boy’s singles, 6-0, 6-2, over Zach Shawl and Hollingsworth falling 0-6, 2-6, to Taylor Heavener.
Blissard and Eldridge got the 6-2, 6-4, win in boy’s doubles and Cameron Byrne and Hollingsworth came out ahead, 6-2, 6-0, in girl’s doubles. Cameron Byrne and Harrington teamed up for a 6-2, 6-3, win in mixed doubles.
Madison and Abby Mitchell added two more wins in girl’s doubles.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Support for Solar Car July 22, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Weston Reed Foundation to offer free physicals July 26, 2016
- Houlka’s Tyreque Reed name Legion MVP July 28, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago