Rock of Ages
Have you ever wondered where “Rock of Ages” came from? Just what does rock of ages mean?
All through the Bible we can read about rock of ages.
Deuteronomy 32:31 “For their rock is not as our Rock.”
This is what Moses said about the Israelites. Even today, some men turn to a rock of men for strength. Some will turn to the rock that will sell them out.
Psalms 14:1 “The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.”
Hebrews 3:4 “For every house is builded by some man; but he that built all things is God.” God made everything.
Romans 1:20 “For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse.”
Ecclesiastes 12:1 “Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth, while the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when thou shalt say, I have no pleasure in them.”
Isaiah 40:12 “Who hath measured the waters in the hollow of his hand, and meted out heaven with the span, and comprehended the dust of the earth in a measure and weighed the mountains in scales, and the hills in a balance?”
What are the answers to these questions?
Who put the sun in the right place?
Who made the dirt, water, etc?
God did it all. God is our Rock.
Do you believe in rock of ages?
II Samuel 22:2 “And he said, The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer.”
I Samuel 2:2 “There is none holy as the Lord: for there is none beside thee: neither is there any rock like our God.”
All through the ages we read of the rock.
I Corinthians 10:3-4 “And did all eat the same spiritual meat; and did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.”
Moses spoke of the rock in Deuteronomy 32:18 “Of the Rock that begat thee thou art unmindful, and hast forgotten God that formed thee.” Verse 31, “for their rock is not as our rock.”
Jesus built His church on the rock.
Matthew 16:18 “And I say unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.”
There are blessing to be found in the rock of ages. Christ is the one who will help us.
I Peter 5:7 “Casting all your care upon him: for he careth for you.”
No one else cares for you and me like Christ does. He is the one who gave his life on the cross so that we can have forgiveness of our sins.
All through the ages we read of the rock. That rock is Christ. Where is your rock? Is it in the rock of ages that we read about down through the ages. What do you build upon? The rock of ages or sinking sand?
Matthew 7:24-27 “Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. And ever one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.”
It is in the rock of ages that we find comfort: Jesus Christ. Let’s build our lives on the rock of ages.
Southside Church of Christ
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Culinary arts teacher opens up new world for students July 24, 2016
- Walker takes second at Pros of Tomorrow July 24, 2016
- Scott, Hardin honored by ICC July 24, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Dr. Darrick Whitfield: Don’t be a slacker! July 27, 2016
- Eaton Automotive finishes season July 26, 2016
- Weston Reed Foundation to offer free physicals July 26, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago