Junior Toppers roll positive numbers
The Toppers faced off with a tough Mooreville team June 18, taking a 3-5 loss to the Troopers, but rallied for a 5-5 tie in the second game. Coach Coty Cox admitted the Troopers were one of the more competitive teams the Junior Toppers have faced during the summer.
“They were really good,” Cox said.
June 20 saw the Toppers host Booneville’s junior team, under the direction of former Hilltopper player and Houston graduate Kenny Hicks.
The Blue Devils went three-up, three-down in the first inning, including a strike out by Houston’s Colton Peel, and the Toppers lasted four batters and stranded one on base in the bottom of the frame.
Peel sat down three consecutive batters on strikes in the top of the second and the Toppers made a stronger showing at the plate in the bottom of the inning.
Ishmael Rios doubled to left field and Charles Wayne Spencer sent him to third on a single past second. Spencer stole second and Hays McMullen reached on a walk to load the bases. Jered Bean’s single to short scored Rios and gave the Toppers the lead they took all the way through the game for a 1-0 win.
The Toppers took a win in the nightcap game by a margin of 6-1.
The team entered this week with a record of 12-2-2 and were scheduled to play at South Pontotoc Monday night.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Solar Team trekking north in Solar Challenge 2016 July 21, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Dr. Darrick Whitfield: Don’t be a slacker! July 27, 2016
- Sundancer finishes first, again July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago