MONTPELIER – Nancy Harrington Cliett, 94, passed away Thursday, June 27, 2013, at Waverly Care Home in West Point. She was born March 16, 1919, in Houston to Andrew Jackson Harrington Jr. and Shirley Hawkins Harrington.
She was a member of New Montpelier Baptist Church, but attended Palestine United Methodist Church, where she was church pianist for many years. She was well known for sharing her talent for music with so many as well as the countless number of funerals, weddings, receptions and vocalists that she accompanied. She was a graduate of Blue Mountain College and attended Mississippi State University for further course work in elementary education. She began her elementary education teaching career in the public school system in Tutwiler. She then continued her teaching career in Clay and Chickasaw counties until she retired her music and elementary education career. She was a member of the Pilot Club International for 28 years and served as the state chaplain. She married Aubrey E. Cliett on July 7, 1941, in Houston, and he passed away in 1970.
Services will be at 2 p.m. Sunday, June 30, at Calvert Funeral Home Chapel with the Rev. Ben Rosenkrans officiating and the Rev. Eddie Brock assisting. Burial will follow in Palestine Cemetery in Montpelier. Calvert Funeral Home of West Point is in charge of arrangements.
Survivors include her two sons, Mike A. Cliett (Irene) and Ben E. Cliett (Donna) of Cedar Bluff; daughter-in-law, Kay Watson Cliett of West Point; six grandchildren, Jeff Cliett (Donna), Jay Jay Henderson (Jason), Brandy Cliett, James Cliett, Robert Cliett (Hannah) and Allena Sanders (Travis); 10 great-grandchildren, Zack Pennington, Ryan Pennington, Kale Pennington, Austin Pennington, Cameron Henley, Jayden Henderson, Abigail Cliett, Brayden Cliett, Emma Sanders and Kristen Sanders.
In addition to her parents and husband, she was preceded in death by her son, John L. Cliett.
Pallbearers will be Jim Murray, Gary Brock, Jason Henderson, James Cliett, Robert Cliett and Jeff Cliett. Honorary pallbearers will be Roy Lee Pate, Benny Borst, Willie Ed Murray, Billy Thompson, Floyd McKee, Durell Jones, all her former students, and the nurses and staff of Waverly Care Home.
Memorials may be made to Palestine Cemetery Fund, c/o Jim Murray, 18515 Hwy. 46, Pheba, MS 39755 or to Gideons International, P.O. Box 661, West Point, MS 39773.
Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Friday at Calvert Funeral Home.
Friends may leave an online condolence at www.calvertfuneralhome.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Habitat now Fuller Center February 17, 2017
- EDITORIAL: Crosswalks needed February 16, 2017
- HUES names Students of the Week February 21, 2017
- WIN Center offers iPhone class February 21, 2017
- ICC names Adult Learner scholars February 21, 2017
- Correctional Facility revenue reviewed February 23, 2017
- EDITORIAL: Tidy up the Trail February 22, 2017
- “Dream Big” February 22, 2017
- Chieftains claim District February 22, 2017
- Wildcats roll out of district February 22, 2017
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago