When I grow up
HOUSTON – Some children and youth struggle with their plans for adulthood, but Tyler Thomas has already set his cap for the future.
Thomas, 7, states emphatically he wants to be a policeman when he grows up and has already made friends on the force in Houston.
“Every time he sees us, he’s just fascinated,” said Houston police officer Larry Mims. “If we see him at WalMart, he inspects our uniforms, belt and all. He’s checking out everything.”
Mims and fellow officer, Robert Ivy, both drove the Headstart bus when Thomas was a pre-school student and feel that may be what sparked his original interest in law enforcement, but Thomas is pretty sure of his reasons for wanting to pursue a career on the force.
“Because you get to chase the other people, the bad people,” Thomas said.
“And you get to help people,” reminded Mims.
Thomas’ choice of police departments to join is clearly Houston.
“Yep,” Thomas said.
His mother, Robin, said he’s already making sacrifices for his career. She took Tyler to Tupelo, heading for Chuck E. Cheese’s, when they made a detour by Teacher’s Pet and Tyler found a police officer’s uniform he just had to have.
“I told him if we buy the uniform, it means we aren’t going to Chuck E. Cheese,” Robin said. “He wasn’t studying Chuck E. Cheese one bit.”
Thomas made the decision to follow his dream and purchase the uniform and couldn’t wait to get back home to show his friends and fellow officers, Mims and Ivy.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Solar Team trekking north in Solar Challenge 2016 July 21, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Dr. Darrick Whitfield: Don’t be a slacker! July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago