WEST POINT – Mary Helen Hollis Southern, 92, died Friday, July 5, 2013, at Dugan Memorial Home in West Point. She was born Sept. 24, 1920, in Chickasaw County to Clara Mae Kilgo Hollis and Thomas Dewitt Hollis.
As a young woman, she moved to West Point, where she spent the rest of her life. In 1939, She married William Vernon Southern Jr., who preceded her in death in 2012. A member of Calvary Baptist Church, she was a gifted seamstress and gardener. She loved a family gathering for any occasion.
Graveside services will be 3 p.m. Sunday, July 7, at Greenwood Cemetery in West Point with Dr. James Towery officiating. Robinson Funeral Home of West Point is in charge of arrangements.
She is survived by her daughters, Peggy Southern Hawkins (James) of Columbus and Marty Southern Friend of Starkville; son-in-law, Bob Gates (Patricia) of New Albany; grandchildren, Deborah Gates Smith (Mike) of The Woodlands, Texas, Susan Gates Griffin (Don) of Nashville, Tenn., Amy Gates Carroll (Ray) of Collierville, Tenn., Holly Hawkins Nelsen of Fairhope, Ala., Mary Heather Hawkins Gibbs of Hernando, Will Friend (Carrie) of Athens, Ga., and Fleming Friend Rogers (John) of Starkville; sister, Clarice Hollis Silver of Vardaman; and brother, Everett Hollis of San Diego, Calif.; and 18 great-grandchildren.
Along with her husband, she was also preceded in death by her daughter, Patricia Southern Gates; sister, Louise Hollis Calder; and brothers, Elmer Hollis and Carl Hollis.
Memorials may be made to St. Jude’s Research Hospital, 501 St. Jude Place, Memphis, TN 38105.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Support for Solar Car July 22, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Weston Reed Foundation to offer free physicals July 26, 2016
- Houlka’s Tyreque Reed name Legion MVP July 28, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago