WEST POINT – Mary Helen Hollis Southern, 92, died Friday, July 5, 2013, at Dugan Memorial Home in West Point. She was born Sept. 24, 1920, in Chickasaw County to Clara Mae Kilgo Hollis and Thomas Dewitt Hollis.
As a young woman, she moved to West Point, where she spent the rest of her life. In 1939, She married William Vernon Southern Jr., who preceded her in death in 2012. A member of Calvary Baptist Church, she was a gifted seamstress and gardener. She loved a family gathering for any occasion.
Graveside services will be 3 p.m. Sunday, July 7, at Greenwood Cemetery in West Point with Dr. James Towery officiating. Robinson Funeral Home of West Point is in charge of arrangements.
She is survived by her daughters, Peggy Southern Hawkins (James) of Columbus and Marty Southern Friend of Starkville; son-in-law, Bob Gates (Patricia) of New Albany; grandchildren, Deborah Gates Smith (Mike) of The Woodlands, Texas, Susan Gates Griffin (Don) of Nashville, Tenn., Amy Gates Carroll (Ray) of Collierville, Tenn., Holly Hawkins Nelsen of Fairhope, Ala., Mary Heather Hawkins Gibbs of Hernando, Will Friend (Carrie) of Athens, Ga., and Fleming Friend Rogers (John) of Starkville; sister, Clarice Hollis Silver of Vardaman; and brother, Everett Hollis of San Diego, Calif.; and 18 great-grandchildren.
Along with her husband, she was also preceded in death by her daughter, Patricia Southern Gates; sister, Louise Hollis Calder; and brothers, Elmer Hollis and Carl Hollis.
Memorials may be made to St. Jude’s Research Hospital, 501 St. Jude Place, Memphis, TN 38105.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- HUES names Students of the Week February 21, 2017
- Gann named NFHS State Coach of Year February 24, 2017
- Teacher Academy February 24, 2017
- Hilltoppers are ready to roll February 24, 2017
- A Day Without Immigrants felt in Vardaman February 25, 2017
- Wildcats step up to the plate February 27, 2017
- College Day at HCTEC February 27, 2017
- Houlka moves forward with water works February 27, 2017
- Building a future with CET February 26, 2017
- WEDDING: Horn/Lluy February 26, 2017
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago