Franklin matches Solar Car fundraising efforts
HOUSTON – The Houston Solar Race Team has spent the last year hosting fundraising events and soliciting sponsors for their upcoming race and has met their budget goals.
The team hosted several events and the Sundancer Steering Committee sent out the call for sponsors and donations and received some extra help from a local business.
Franklin Corporation pledged to match funds raised in the local community up to $10,000 and the community rose to the challenge. Hank Franklin presented the check to team member Kristen Marsh Monday, rounding out the budget for the race from Texas to Los Angeles next week.
“We’re fortunate and glad that we can have a small part of what goes into it,” said Franklin, of the 12-time National Championship solar racing program and the team members that keep bringing home the trophies. “The program is so successful and it’s an example that good things can be accomplished.”
Marsh said the response from the community was very positive.
“This trip could not be possible without the support of our community and steering committee,” Marsh said. “It makes us feel proud we live in Houston and happy that we can represent our town.”
The Houston Solar Race Team is comprised of students from Houston High School and those who utilize the Houston School of Science and Technology and is under the direction of instructors Keith Reese, Anita Ellison and Donna Turman. The program is alloted $3,000 annual funding through the district budget and team members, along with steering committee members, work throughout the year to acquire additional funding for events like the annual Solar Challenge.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Getting a good start at school July 24, 2016
- Sundancer finishes first, again July 27, 2016
- Dr. Darrick Whitfield: Don’t be a slacker! July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- Tending to business July 30, 2016
- Praying for peace and unity July 30, 2016
- Okolona trustees approve summer programs July 29, 2016
- Houlka’s Tyreque Reed name Legion MVP July 28, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago