Houston FFA at Envirothon competition
OXFORD – The Houston FFA Envirothon Team competed in the North District Competition March 26 at the University of Mississippi Field Station in Oxford.
After intense training, these teams competed in the district competition and the team placed third at the North District Contest.
Team members include Lindsay Bevels, Jacob Bridgman, Anna Gann, Cory McDaniel and Savanna Rhodes. The team was coached by Houston FFA Advisor Karen Cook.
The Mississippi Envirothon, a program of the Mississippi Association of Conservation Districts, is a hands-on natural resource competition designed to challenge students in grades nine through twelve to explore the natural world around them – testing their knowledge in the categories of aquatics, forestry, soils, wildlife and current issues.
“Envirothon is an excellent program for high school students,” said Bevels. “We are tested on our knowledge of the environment, but also get the chance to check out some vocational interests and have fun at the same time.”
Through local soil and water conservation districts, volunteers and resource personnel from state and federal natural resource agencies and organizations worked with educators to share their environmental expertise and get the teams ready for this competition. These resource professionals were on hand to assist with testing and judging at the area competition and will be assisting with the statewide competition as well.
The Mississippi Envirothon is funded by a grant from the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Culinary arts teacher opens up new world for students July 24, 2016
- Walker takes second at Pros of Tomorrow July 24, 2016
- Scott, Hardin honored by ICC July 24, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Eaton Automotive finishes season July 26, 2016
- Weston Reed Foundation to offer free physicals July 26, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago