Dr. Harvey Snow Jr.
OKOLONA – Harvey Lee Snow Jr., Ph.D., 78, died Saturday, July 20, 2013, at Darlington Oaks in Verona. He was born Feb. 10, 1935, in the Egypt community to Harvey Lee Snow Sr. and Estervell Ward Snow.
He received his education from Red Bud Elementary School, Shivers High School, Okolona Industrial College, Mississippi Industrial College in Holly Springs and Mississippi State University. He also earned several honorary degrees from various institutions throughout his lifetime.
He had a special love for education. He was an instructor and bus driver for many years at Fannie Carter School in Okolona. He served as a recruiter for Mary Holmes Jr. College and director of Mississippi Action for Progress. He was a retired teacher and principal of Nettleton Public Schools. He will greatly be remembered and missed by many.
Services will be Saturday, July 27, at Red Bud M.B. Church with the Rev. Jermal Boddie officiating. Burial will be in the Snow Cemetery. Williams Memorial of Okolona is in charge of the arrangements.
Survivors include his wife of 52 years, Mattie Cook Snow; seven brothers, Arnold Snow (Dorothy) of Pontotoc, Willard Snow, Quentin Snow (Elizabeth), Wayne Snow (Lillian), all of Beloit, Wis., Orlando Snow (Diane) of Houston, Othelma Snow (Gwendolyn) and Darren Snow (Vernice), both of Okolona; a sister, Melba Snow Smith of Memphis; four sisters-in-law, Mary Elizabeth Snow, Rosie Snow, Willie Chapman (Robert) and Melzenia Maddox (Maurice); and two brothers-in-law, Thomas Cook and Kenneth Cook (Hazel).
He was preceded in death by his parents; five brothers, Lydell Snow, James Robert Snow, Herbert Snow, Kinard Snow and Billy Snow.
Visitation will be from 2 to 6 p.m. Friday at the funeral home chapel.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Learning to smile forever July 19, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Real men rise above the status quo July 23, 2016
- Please clean up the Carnegie Library July 23, 2016
- Getting a good start at school July 24, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Scott, Hardin honored by ICC July 24, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago