Chickasaw Journal picks up eight MPA awards
BILOXI – Recognition for a job well done is always appreciated and the staff of the Chickasaw Journal received eight nods for work produced during 2012 at the Mississippi Press Association’s Better Newspapers Contest this past June in Biloxi.
MPA sponsors the contest in which newspaper staffs enter their best works for the previous calendar year and are judged by other journalists from out-of-state publications.
The staff of the Chickasaw Journal picked up several overall first-place awards including Best Overall Design for layout and content, but were most excited about receiving an award for General Excellence.
Competing in the under-2,500 circulation division of all weeklies in the state of Mississippi, the Chickasaw Journal garnered a third-place award for General Excellence.
“Everyone at the Chickasaw Journal strives to give our readers the best paper possible each week and it feels good to have a board of your peers recognize the good work that is done here,” said General Manager Lisa Bryant. “We are especially proud of the award for General Excellence.
News Editor Floyd Ingram and Sports Editor Lisa Voyles each placed in individual categories and together in a joint editorial effort. The duo placed third in Best Planned Series of Stories for a compilation dedicated to the aftermath of the 2011 tornado – “One Year Later.”
The Houston staff is complemented in the production of the weekly newspaper by Crissy Bland who takes the lead in layout and design from the Journal Publishing, Inc., offices in Tupelo. Bland works closely with the editorial staff in Houston on page design and placement of stories and artwork.
2012 MPA awards
n Best Sports Page or Section, Staff
n Best Overall Design, Staff
n Best Headline, Lisa Voyles
n Best Editorials, Floyd Ingram
n Best Editorial Pages, Floyd Ingram
n Best Lede, Floyd Ingram
n Best Planned Series of Stories, Floyd Ingram and Lisa Voyles
n General Excellence, Staff
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Culinary arts teacher opens up new world for students July 24, 2016
- Walker takes second at Pros of Tomorrow July 24, 2016
- Scott, Hardin honored by ICC July 24, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Eaton Automotive finishes season July 26, 2016
- Weston Reed Foundation to offer free physicals July 26, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago