Clarke, Vernon win titles
By GENE PHELPS
OXFORD – Cameron Clarke wanted to finish his final round Wednesday with a birdie.
The Bruce golfer settled for a hard-earned par and a two-stroke victory against his challenger, Vardaman’s Brandon Walker, to win the age division 14-15 title of the North Mississippi Coca-Cola Junior Golf Tour Championship at the Ole Miss Golf Club.
Clarke entered the day a shot behind Walker and Pontotoc’s Denver Russell. He re- corded a 2-over-par 74 on Wednesday to finish with a two-day total of 155. Walker was second at 157 and Russell finished third with a 161.
“I had a 3-foot putt, downhill, for birdie on 18,” Clarke said.
“It went by the hole about five feet. I made it coming back.”
The par putt would be enough to clinch the championship for the Bruce High School golfer, who started Wednesday’s play with a bogey.
“I hit almost every fairway today and hit almost every green and two-putted,” Clarke said.
Konrad Vernon, a rising senior at Columbus, played consistent for two days and recorded a 78-79 – 157 to beat first-round leader Jacob Dixon of Baldwyn by five strokes.
The victory was the first on the Tour this summer for Vernon, who had three second-place finishes.
“It feels good,” he said. “I finally won and it was the last one.”
Grenada’s Hunter Logan won the 12-13 division, West Point’s Cohen Trolio the 10-11, West Point’s Collins Trolio the division for 9-under and Kossuth’s Alyssa Trulove the girls division.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Homegrown and Houston proud July 23, 2016
- Eaton Automotive finishes season July 26, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Testing our schoolsEDITORIAL: Testing our schools July 27, 2016
- Sundancer finishes first, again July 27, 2016
- Okolona trustees approve summer programs July 29, 2016
- Houlka’s Tyreque Reed name Legion MVP July 28, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago