Clarke, Vernon win titles
By GENE PHELPS
OXFORD – Cameron Clarke wanted to finish his final round Wednesday with a birdie.
The Bruce golfer settled for a hard-earned par and a two-stroke victory against his challenger, Vardaman’s Brandon Walker, to win the age division 14-15 title of the North Mississippi Coca-Cola Junior Golf Tour Championship at the Ole Miss Golf Club.
Clarke entered the day a shot behind Walker and Pontotoc’s Denver Russell. He re- corded a 2-over-par 74 on Wednesday to finish with a two-day total of 155. Walker was second at 157 and Russell finished third with a 161.
“I had a 3-foot putt, downhill, for birdie on 18,” Clarke said.
“It went by the hole about five feet. I made it coming back.”
The par putt would be enough to clinch the championship for the Bruce High School golfer, who started Wednesday’s play with a bogey.
“I hit almost every fairway today and hit almost every green and two-putted,” Clarke said.
Konrad Vernon, a rising senior at Columbus, played consistent for two days and recorded a 78-79 – 157 to beat first-round leader Jacob Dixon of Baldwyn by five strokes.
The victory was the first on the Tour this summer for Vernon, who had three second-place finishes.
“It feels good,” he said. “I finally won and it was the last one.”
Grenada’s Hunter Logan won the 12-13 division, West Point’s Cohen Trolio the 10-11, West Point’s Collins Trolio the division for 9-under and Kossuth’s Alyssa Trulove the girls division.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- HUES names Students of the Week February 21, 2017
- Gann named NFHS State Coach of Year February 24, 2017
- Teacher Academy February 24, 2017
- Hilltoppers are ready to roll February 24, 2017
- A Day Without Immigrants felt in Vardaman February 25, 2017
- Wildcats step up to the plate February 27, 2017
- College Day at HCTEC February 27, 2017
- Houlka moves forward with water works February 27, 2017
- Building a future with CET February 26, 2017
- WEDDING: Horn/Lluy February 26, 2017
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago