HOUSTON – Vester Clark “Buck” Pettit, 75, passed away Thursday, Aug. 1, 2013, at North Mississippi Medical Center after a lengthy illness. A Houston native, he was born Oct. 8, 1937, to Clarence Pettit and Audrey Mae Clark Pettit.
In his earlier career he worked for the Coca Cola Bottling Company. He later worked with Chickasaw County and retired after 30 years of service. He was a dedicated member of Pearson Chapel Church. An avid gardener, he enjoyed hunting, fishing and playing cards and dominoes with his family and grandchildren.
He is survived by his wife of 57 years, Peggy Ruth Dodson Pettit; his four children, Jerry Pettit (Tammy), Linda Pettit McKell (Stewart) of Tupelo, Mike Pettit (Christy) and Sharon Pettit Stevens (Mark) of Houston; 12 grandchildren, Chris Hill (Ellen) of Shannon, Lance Pettit of Houston, Anna Hill Wozinak (Anthony) of Scottsdale, Ariz., Mark Allen Stevens of Houlka, Shane Pettit of Orlando, Fla., Cyndell Linley of Houston, John Taylor Stevens of Houston, Laken Pettit of Tupelo, Makenzie Pettit of Houston, Anna Ragen Pettit of Houston, Eric Smith (Kathi) of Houston and Amanda Smith of Tupelo; five great-grandchildren; three brothers, James Marion Pettit (Norma), Delbert Pettit (Helen) and Prentiss Pettit (Treacer); two sisters, Louise McGee (Doc Wayne) and Virginia Spencer; and many nieces and nephews
In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by two brothers, Oneal Pettit and Mervin Pettit; four sisters, Olene Vance, Ruby McCardle, Pearlie Dulaney and Jean Walters.
Services will be at 3:30 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 3, at the Houston Funeral Home. Bro. Scott Samuel will officiate. Burial will be in Wesley Chapel Cemetery. Houston Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
Pallbearers will be Jerry Dulaney, Kenneth Funderburk, Jimmy James, Joe Loftin, Jimmy Pettit and David Gene Walters.
Visitation will be from 2 to 3 p.m. Saturday at the Houston Funeral Home.
In lieu of flowers, memorials can be made to Pearson Chapel Church, 512 County Road 24, Houston, MS 38851 to help rebuild the sanctuary that burned July 26, 2013.
Friends and family may sign the online register book at houstonfuneralhomems.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Nabors named top home improvement store in state July 18, 2016
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Giving your very best July 18, 2016
- Homegrown and Houston proud July 23, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Real men rise above the status quo July 23, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Scott, Hardin honored by ICC July 24, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago