Got her dancin’ shoes on
HOUSTON – Anyone who knows Ruby Lancaster is aware of her love of music.
She has sung at many local benefits in various groups and in combination with her two sons, Casey and Caleb. She even spent several of her teenage years playing the piano at McCondy Baptist Church.
But this year, she is going to put on her dancing shoes and perform for charity at the Dance Like the Stars event Aug. 24 at the BancorpSouth Center.
“I’ve always loved to dance and I’ve been a big fan of the Dance Like the Stars program,” Lancaster said. “It looked like fun so, this year, I got up my courage and volunteered to do it.”
This year, the event gained a big boost as Toyota Motor Manufacturing joined as the presenting sponsor for the annual benefit. Juilian Goodwin, Vice-President of Boys and Girls Clubs North Mississippi said the sponsorship is greatly appreciated.
“We are so thankful for the commitment of Toyota to Boys and Girls Club of North Mississippi and our entire community,” Goodwin said.
This year’s event is the eighth annual Dance Like the Stars competition in which volunteers agree to train with a professional dancer from The Dance Studio in Tupelo, learn a routine and perform in front of hundeds of audience members.
“I’m trying not to think about that part,” Lancaster laughed. “I’ve been having so much fun working with my partner, Matt (Embler). He’s teaching me a salsa dance and I’m having a great time. We’re dancing to one of my all-time, favorite songs, ‘Copacabana’ by Barry Manilow and Matt even has me doing a little bit of cha-cha. I’m trying to put the thought of the audience out of my mind right now.”
Tickets for dinner and the dance are $50 each while tickets to view the dance only are $20. Tickets may be ordered online at www.bgcnms.org. Any tickets ordered in the name of a specific dancer or any donations made to a specific dancer will be credited to their tally for most money raised.
All donations made for Lancaster will benefit costs incurred at the Houston Boys and Girls club.
Donations for Lancaster may be made at Salon III in Houston or at the Chickasaw Journal office in Houston.
For more information about Lancaster’s participation, call 456-9571 or 456-3771.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Learning to smile forever July 19, 2016
- Please clean up the Carnegie Library July 23, 2016
- Getting a good start at school July 24, 2016
- Culinary arts teacher opens up new world for students July 24, 2016
- Eaton Automotive finishes season July 26, 2016
- Weston Reed Foundation to offer free physicals July 26, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago