Calhoun County sends 858th off for third deployment
CALHOUN CITY – While many troops are returning home and the number of American soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan decrease, the The Mississippi National Guard’s 858th Horizontal Construction Company is preparing for what many hope will be their last deployment to Afghanistan.
The company was the first engineering company deployed to Iraq in 2003 and then returned in 2009.
Families and community members gathered in the center of town Saturday, hugging their soldiers and promising their prayers and thoughts over the next nine months.
The company will be deploying to Afghanistan to retrograde everything the military doesn’t need and then turn operations over to the Afghan forces.
The company’s commanding officer, Capt. Robert Sanders said it is bitter-sweet to deploy at a time when many solders are coming home,” But, we’re the ones to close the door and put the key under the mat and we’re excited about that.”
The troops will leave Monday morning, making a lap around the Calhoun City square at 8:30 before deploying for over nine months.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Nabors named top home improvement store in state July 18, 2016
- ICC registration underway July 22, 2016
- Homegrown and Houston proud July 23, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Real men rise above the status quo July 23, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Scott, Hardin honored by ICC July 24, 2016
- Walker takes second at Pros of Tomorrow July 24, 2016
- Culinary arts teacher opens up new world for students July 24, 2016
- Getting a good start at school July 24, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago