Bennett York Jr.
CALHOUN CITY – Bennett Van York Jr. passed away Tuesday, Aug. 13, 2013, in Calhoun City. He was born Aug. 26, 1965, in Memphis to Dr. Bennett Van York and his wife, Nan Moore York.
He grew up in Hattiesburg and was a graduate of Hattiesburg High School and the University of Mississippi, where he was a member of Sigma Nu fraternity. He was known for his brilliant mind and giving heart. A true gentleman and patriot, he was full of love for those less fortunate and in need. He will be dearly missed by his wife, children, family and many faithful friends.
He worked in real estate development, and among many other projects, was instrumental in the development and operation of an outdoor advertising company and many self-storage projects. He was a member of First Presbyterian Church of Hattiesburg.
He is survived by his wife, Victoria Hopper York of Chicago; daughter, Mary Abigail York of Hattiesburg, whose mother is Sonia Smith York of Hattiesburg; son, Bennett Van York III of Chicago; parents, Dr. and Mrs. Bennett Van York of Hattiesburg; grandmother, Mrs. Paul M. Moore Sr. of Calhoun City; sister, Susan Paige York of Santa Rosa Beach, Fla.; brother, John Tyler York (Charlotte Sonnier York) of Hattiesburg; nephew, Lars Thomas Losee; niece, Ella Nell Losee, of Santa Rosa Beach, Fla.; niece, Anne Moore York of Hattiesburg; and many aunts, uncles and cousins.
He was preceded in death by his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. W.T. York, and Paul M. Moore Sr.
Services will be at 2 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 17, at Lewis Memorial United Methodist Church in Calhoun City. Visitation will be from 1 p.m. to service time. Pryor Funeral Home of Calhoun City is in charge of arrangements.
A celebration of the life of Bennett V. York Jr. will be held on his 48th birthday, Monday, Aug. 26, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Canebrake Country Club in Hattiesburg.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to any of the following organizations: Hub City Humane Society, 95 Jackson Road, Hattiesburg, MS 39402; Aldersgate Mission of Main Street UMC, 712 N. Main St., Hattiesburg, MS 39402; or National Institute of Mental Health, Gift Fund, 6001 Executive Blvd., Room 6101, MSC 9655, Bethesda, MD 20892-9655.
Online condolences can be left at pryorfuneralhome.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Solar Team trekking north in Solar Challenge 2016 July 21, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Dr. Darrick Whitfield: Don’t be a slacker! July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago