Tanglefoot to mark opening Sept. 21
PONTOTOC – The Tanglefoot Trail is finished – almost.
Board members of the GM&O Rails-to-Trails Recreational District had hoped to open the 44.56-mile cycling and pedestrian path by Aug. 17, but construction delays have pushed back the ceremonial opening pending final inspections by Mississippi Department of Transportation engineers.
“The team has picked Sept. 21,” said Randy Kelley, executive director of Three Rivers Planning and Development District. “If it’s finished earlier, we’ll publish in the paper announcing it’s open, but we’ll have the grand opening on the 21st.”
Celebrations will be held at 8:30 a.m. in Houston, 9:30 a.m. in New Albany and culminate with a ceremonial driving of a silver spike in Pontotoc, joining the two halves of railroad-turned-recreational trail.
Mike Falkner of Engineering Solutions Inc. said the last punch-list items might be completed early in September. The trail currently has mileage markers, but a recent worker-involved accident prompted a decision to add road-identifying signage at each crossing to facilitate emergency service response.
While people are eager to use the trail – and some are already walking and biking the route – project leaders say the Tanglefoot Trail is no officially open and the public is being asked to stay off the trail. Project leaders also pointed out the Sept. 21 date is not set in concrete.
“Once the punch list is completed, the engineers will notify the board the trail is ready to use and they will meet and set an opening date,” said Karen Heintze, Three Rivers Project Administrator.
At Friday’s meeting, directors approved issuing $5 annual permits for elderly or disabled individuals to use electric golf carts on the trail. They also approved policies governing special-event use of the trail, including fees and insurance requirements.
“The best example is an application I’ve already received,” said Trail Manager Don Locke. “They want to have part of the Bodock Festival bicycle ride on the trail.”
Officials emphasize that due to continuing construction activity, the Tanglefoot Trail remains off limits to the public until official notice of opening. A complete list of usage rules will be published in area papers.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Culinary arts teacher opens up new world for students July 24, 2016
- Walker takes second at Pros of Tomorrow July 24, 2016
- Scott, Hardin honored by ICC July 24, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Eaton Automotive finishes season July 26, 2016
- Weston Reed Foundation to offer free physicals July 26, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago