Fatal fire near Houlka
HOULKA – A Thursday night fire in Chickasaw County totally destroyed a mobile home and resulted in the death of an elderly woman.
The Houlka Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched north of Houlka at 6:10 p.m. and found heavy smoke and flames coming from the double-wide trailer when they arrived on the scene.
“An elderly woman was found inside and, as with all fire fatalities, we are investigating the exact cause of death,” said Andy Harmon, Chickasaw County Coroner. “At this point everything looks like an accident and we have seen nothing that makes us feel any different.”
The woman has been identified at Carolyn Buggs, 76, of 177 County Road 242.
Harmon said Bugg’s husband had left briefly to go to the grocery and when he returned found the trailer on fire and called 911.
“The trailer was fully involved when we got there,” said Terry Short, Houlka Volunteer Fire Department Fire Chief. “We had our pumper and tanker on the scene and Becker (VFD) sent two pumpers and Thorn (VFD) sent a pumper an two tankers. We got it out quickly because we were told someone was inside.”
Short said firefighters had to pull the electric meter. He said firefighters were on the scene more than two hours.
Short said the exact cause of the fire has not been determined.
“She was found near the door and not near a stove or refrigerator,” said Short. “The trailer was totally destroyed and we are not sure if the fire started in the kitchen or somewhere else.”
Short said he was pleased with the aggressive nature of volunteers fighting the fire.
“This is our first fire fatality in about four years,” said Short. “Things like this bother our guys because they do this to help people. Everybody knows everybody in this community and this hurt our guys and our community.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- EDITORIAL: Demanding excellence October 20, 2016
- Signs are illegal in rights-of-way October 25, 2016
- Smithville rolls over Vardaman October 25, 2016
- MSU names Summer 2016 graduates October 25, 2016
- Collision kills two near Vardaman October 25, 2016
- Houlka aldermen hold budget hearing October 27, 2016
- County formally amends 2016 budget October 27, 2016
- Louisville edges Toppers October 27, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Red Ribbon Week October 26, 2016
- Art in the Park is Thursday October 26, 2016
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago