LOCAL FOCUS: T’s BBQ
HOUSTON – Tommy “T” Dendy is glad to tell you how to cook barbecue, just don’t ask what’s in his special sauce.
“I worked on that recipe for years until I got it just right,” said Dendy. “I was looking for flavor where people said ‘That’s good!’ when they first tasted it, but I also wanted a flavor that lingers in your mouth.”
And making people enjoy his barbecue just a little longer than most has been a key ingredient in the success of T’s BBQ in the white and sky-blue building at the junction of First Avenue, Pontotoc, Malcomb, Lowery and North Jackson Street.
“We do pulled pork, ribs and chicken,” said Dendy. “We also serve french fries.”
T’s is all carry-out or catering. The lunch-time crowd lines up at the window with most phoning ahead so they can quickly pickup their order.
“We are not fast food, but we do cook good food fast,” said Dendy. “We are only open three days a week but I spend the other three getting ready.”
Dendy cooks about 350-pounds of meat each week. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday are spent smoking meat, pulling pork, cutting up chicken and stirring up “T’s Secret Sauce.”
“I do most of it myself,” said Dendy. “I buy quality meat, I’ve got a special way I do just about everything and I know it’s all done right.”
And Dendy’s high standards are reflected in a clean kitchen and customer space and window out front.
“It’s the little bitty things in this business that make you successful,” said Dendy. “I also think you need to enjoy cooking for folks. It’s really a lot of hard work and if you don’t enjoy it you won’t do it long.”
T’s also caters and can handle everything from weddings and corporate functions to church events and family reunions.
And back to how to cook barbecue, Dendy offered these tips.
Cook with hickory and add a few branches of pecan. Apple wood is best, but hard to find.
Freeze meat for at least 24-hours if you are going to pull it to break it down.
Experiment with making your own sauce.
Smile when you serve it.
“I’ve been cooking barbecue for 25 years and been here since 1995,” said Dendy. “I’ve made good friends serving good food. I hope that never changes.”
Owner: Tommy and Janie Dendy
Location: 693 North Jackson
Phone: (662) 456-0045.
Hours: Thursday-Saturday 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. “or until we run out!”
Local Focus is a regular business feature of the Chickasaw Journal. Locally owned businesses wanting to be included in Local Focus should call the Chickasaw Journal at 456-3771.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Man falls from Houston Airport tower January 19, 2017
- Houston considers summer street projects January 13, 2017
- Okolona man charged in Amory armed robbery January 17, 2017
- Houlka sweeps Rams to start division play January 18, 2017
- Chieftains roll Green Wave January 18, 2017
- Wilson stepping down at East Webster January 20, 2017
- FLOYD INGRAM: Time for a change January 20, 2017
- HISD refines drug testing policy January 20, 2017
- ICC hosts Leadoff Banquet January 19, 2017
- Houlka mourns death of former mayor January 19, 2017
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago