Powder substance in Pontotoc letter not harmful
“The stuff inside the letter was a mixture of different chemical powders but it contained nothing harmful,” said Rickey Jaggers, Pontotoc County Emergency Management Director.
The incident unfolded around 12:30 p.m. Wednesday when a Pontotoc business owner notified the Pontotoc County Sheriff’s Department he had opened a suspicious letter and began coughing from a powder substance inside the letter.
Two Pontotoc deputies responded to Pool Specialist located at 243A West Oxford Street in Pontotoc and took possession of the letter from business owner Frank Wilson.
Pontotoc Police, Emergency Management, fire department and ambulance personnel responded to the scene and a hazardous materials regional response team from Tupelo Fire Department was summoned in an effort to identify the powdered substance.
The hazardous material team helped decontaminate those inside the business and isolated the letter for transportation to the state crime lab.
“But when the U.S. Postal Inspector (from Memphis) got here, he had the equipment to test the substance and determine it was not poisonous,” said Randy Tutor, Pontotoc Police investigator.
Business owner Frank Wilson was transported by ambulance to the hospital for precautionary examination.
Also decontaminated inside the store were deputies Erick Pettit and Chance Austin and Pontotoc Progress Advertising Consultant Angie Quarles who was at the business making a sales call when officers arrived.
Officials with the FBI and Homeland Security have also been contacted, said Pontotoc Police Chief Larry Poole.
Law enforcement officials said Wilson told them the letter inside the envelope was unsigned but contained a one page (front and back) typed letter attacking and accusing the Pontotoc Progress, Daily Journal, and numerous area churches of contributing to the trafficking of young girls.
As word spread this afternoon about the incident, law enforcement officials began receiving a multitude of calls about receiving similar letters in the mail.
“If they get a suspicious letter, don’t open it, just call 911 and an officer will come by as soon as possible and pick up the letter,” said Chief Poole.
Law enforcement officials said they have a person of interest they want to question in connection with the powder incident and letters.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Houston FFA earns One Star Chapter award November 27, 2016
- Okolona airport lands grant December 1, 2016
- Okolona shines at Lighthouse Classic December 1, 2016
- Christmas parades are next week December 2, 2016
- Students chosen for Who’s Who at ICC December 2, 2016
- Turman, Archer inducted to Phi Kappa Phi December 3, 2016
- Una Thanksgiving December 3, 2016
- Houlka Thanksgiving December 3, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Religion, politics and my wife’s birthday December 3, 2016
- Hunter orange strictly enforced December 2, 2016
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago