FOOTBALL ROUNDUP: Houston falls to Okolona, E.Webster tops Nettleton
OKOLONA 14, HOUSTON 6: Okolona (2-0) remained unbeaten in its first season under Jack Clark.
DeQuin Babbit scored on an 18-yard run and Jacolbi Heard added the go-ahead TD with a 1-yard run in the third quarter for the Chieftains.
Houston (0-3) opened the scoring in the first quarter when Damien Fields scored on a 32-yard run.
EAST WEBSTER 35, NETTLETON 27: East Webster rallied from a 21-0 deficit to down the Tigers. DeAngelo Williams had a 72-yard punt return and Wilbur O’Briant had two rushing TDs for Wolverines in their rally.
Nettleton QB Dakota Cruber passed for two TDs and rushed for two.
LAFAYETTE 21, DESOTO CENTRAL 6: D.K. Buford scored on runs of 4 and 18 yards Friday night to lead the Lafayette Commodores to a 21-6 victory against Class 6A DeSoto Central.
Buford’s final score, the 4-yard run, came in the third quarter and answered DeSoto Central’s lone TD, a 19-yard run by Mike McDonald. Lafayette (2-1) scored its second TD on an 18-yard pass from Devin Thomas to Landon Busby.
OXFORD 37, EAST SIDE 6: QB Jack Abraham threw five TD passes and Cody Mills kicked a 44-yard field goal to lead the Journal’s No. 1-rated large school, Oxford (3-0), to its third straight victory.
Abraham’s passes were for 7 and 9 yards to D.K. Metcalf, 3 yards to Zach Cousar, 35 yards to Kyree White and 1 yard to Conrey Meagher.
HAMILTON 42, HATLEY 0: The Lions (2-1) were powered by quarterback Quinshay Heard and running back Keshon Heard, who scored two TDs apiece in their road victory.
Quinshay Heard scored on runs of 17 and 62 yards in the first half. He also threw a 27-yard TD pass to Samuel Peloquin in the opening half.
Keshon Heard opened the game’s scoring with a 77-yard punt return. He added a 45-yard score in the second half.
Pallas Fair scored Hamilton’s final TD on a 1-yard run.
EAST UNION 29, POTTS CAMP 14: The Urchins (3-0) remained unbeaten thanks to three TD runs by Blake Spruill. The running back scored on runs of 4, 7 and 40 yards.
D.J. Armstrong opened the scoring for East Union with a 1-yard run in the first quarter. Potts Camp (0-3) answered on a 76-yard scamper by Taylor Jeffries. The Cardinals added a late TD.
BELMONT 41, TISHOMINGO COUNTY 38: Luke Alexander three for three TDs and rushed for another to lead the Cardinals (1-2) to their first win of the season.
NORTH PONTOTOC 31, CHOCTAW COUNTY 21: QB Trey Jolly threw TD strikes of 24 yards to Murphy Daniel and 49 yards to Brooks Shannon to lead the Vikings (1-2). Shannon also returned an interception 65 yards for a TD.
BRUCE 26, COFFEEVILLE 19: D.J. Galspie scored on a 10-yard run in overtime to lead the unbeaten No. 3-ranked small school Trojans (3-0).
Complete area games and photos will be published in the Wednesday, Sept. 11, Chickasaw Journal.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Support for Solar Car July 22, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Weston Reed Foundation to offer free physicals July 26, 2016
- Houlka’s Tyreque Reed name Legion MVP July 28, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago