Don’t ruin the game
In that situation a parent allegedly had words with a coach and the confrontation came to blows. The parent was arrested for simple assault of a school teacher, a crime that is a felony in Mississippi.
We will not rehash the details other than to point out it was a very public event that frightened many and embarrassed all. The courts will handle it from here and we hope justice is well served.
This newspaper is urging all who attend a organized athletic event in our community to be a fan first and a parent second.
Fans play an important role in every sporting event. They are found on the sidelines and in the stands cheering their team on. Sadly, the label fan is taken from the word fanatic and some go overboard for their team or player.
Neither fans nor parents at a community sporting event should ever verbally or physically assault those around them.
It’s one thing to cheer on the hometeam. It is entirely something else to degrade the other team or one of their players.
And fan violence at any community sporting event is a crime and should be treated as such.
Football is a very physical sport. Basketball games can get rough. Softball games can become emotional and highly charged events.
But the passions of the heart should never control the mind and the actions of the body at a school sporting event.
Let the game be enjoyed by all in the stands. Let the competition be settled on the field. Be a fan your school and team can be proud of regardless of the score.
Athletics is allowed and encouraged in our schools because it teaches the virtues of discipline, self-control and sportsmanship.
Fans of the game know this. Real fans of the game should practice them.
Our children, our schools and our community suffer when fans and parents ruin the game.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Habitat now Fuller Center February 17, 2017
- Houston drops two to Noxubee February 15, 2017
- BIRTH: Easton Rhett Dendy February 19, 2017
- BIRTH: Swayze Jo Flora February 19, 2017
- County ponders TRPDD alliance February 20, 2017
- One killed in wreck involving ambulance February 21, 2017
- Chickasaw man injured in Shannon wreck February 21, 2017
- Sirens to go off Wednesday for statwide tornado drill February 21, 2017
- ICC names Adult Learner scholars February 21, 2017
- WIN Center offers iPhone class February 21, 2017
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago