BRANDON PRESLEY: Mississippi doesn’t need nuclear waste
The news out of Jackson last week that our Governor and certain lobbying groups have been planning, behind the scenes, to offer up Mississippi as the nation's nuclear waste dump is appalling. Just a month ago, the U.S. Secretary of Energy mentioned Mississippi to Congress as a possible home for America's nuclear waste. Now they say they are only talking about "recycling" nuclear waste here. Do they think we are so dumb as to believe that you can have nuclear waste "recycling" without nuclear waste storage? If America's nuclear waste ever gets in Mississippi, we will never get it out of Mississippi. If this is such a great idea, why are we the ONLY state in America asking for it? The truth is, this would kill tourism and jobs. The federal government has already spent $15 billion for national nuclear waste storage at Yucca Mountain in Nevada. We in Mississippi don't send our nuclear waste to other states and we don't want other states shipping their waste here. Whether you're a Republican, Democrat or Independent, this issue crosses party lines and affects all regions of our state. Do we want America's nuclear waste trucked in on our highways, shipped on our rivers, or railed through our towns to be stored in our soil? Incidentally, the federal government tried to put this over on us 30 years ago with the Richton salt domes idea. We put a stop to it then and we must stop it again. Contact your elected officials today and tell them to say no to making Mississippi the nation's nuclear waste dump! Brandon Presley, Northern District Public Service Commissioner, Jackson, Miss.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Houlka offers dual credit with ICC August 23, 2016
- Lady Hilltoppers struggle at plate August 25, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: A quick look around town August 25, 2016
- Work set for Tanglefoot pathway August 26, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Migrants jump out of the melting pot August 27, 2016
- Armyworms spotted in local fields August 30, 2016
- Money would fix city’s aging pipes August 29, 2016
- Political Season August 29, 2016
- Cowboys’ veterans big fans of Prescott August 28, 2016
- Flywheel Festival seeks vendors August 28, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
aberdeen amory arrest Baptist Baseball basketball Bruce business Calhoun City Calhoun County chickasaw Chickasaw County chickasaw journal city County crime East Webster Economic Development education Eupora featured fire floyd football houlka Houston ICC ingram Jones Mantee Mississippi Money Moore MSU Okolona police Pontotoc school schools Smith Softball Tupelo Vardaman west point Woodland
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago