Lady Topper break division with win
Despite a lackluster beginning, the Lady Toppers snagged their first division win in style.
“A slow start,” said coach Jeffrey Mann. “They finally got hot and a very good finish.”
The Lady Bulldogs lit up the scoreboard first with three runs in the bottom of the first inning and added two in the second for a 5-1 lead, but the Lady Toppers hit their groove in the bottom of the frame.
Quaneshia Pratt led off with a single past shortstop and Josie Anderson singled to keep the momentum going. Back-to-back doubles by Alexis McShan and Scarlett Doss set up two RBIs and the Lady Toppers closed the inning down by one.
The Houston girls bats stayed hot in the bottom of the third and fourth, stretching their lead to 11-5.
In the fifth, Talaja Echoles hit her signature homer over left center, plating three runs and ending the game with a division win.
“Not a great start, but not a bad start either,” Mann said. “We’ve got to work on making those simple plays.”
The Houston girls were scheduled to travel to Shannon for their second division game Tuesday and will host tournament on the home field Saturday.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Culinary arts teacher opens up new world for students July 24, 2016
- Walker takes second at Pros of Tomorrow July 24, 2016
- Scott, Hardin honored by ICC July 24, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Eaton Automotive finishes season July 26, 2016
- Weston Reed Foundation to offer free physicals July 26, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago