Touring sweet potato land
VARDAMAN – Folks in Calhoun County had guests last week and they toured the area for the sweetest treats around – sweet potatoes.
Sheila Freely, Director of the Calhoun County Economic Development Association, along with sweet potato growers, packers and shippers, welcomed members of the Appalachian Region Commission from Tupelo and Washington, D.C. and spent the day showing off Calhoun County’s most famous product.
The tour began at Sweet Potato Sweets in Vardaman and included a packing facility and site visits at local farms, concluding with a trip to the Bruce Farmer’s Market.
“We had a great county tour, including stops in Vardaman, Calhoun City and Bruce,” Freely said. “It was reported the ARC folks were impressed with our area and our potential for creating jobs.”
Freely said the visit was prompted by a desire by ARC representatives to promote local food consumption as well as new economic and employment opportunities.
ARC Federal Co-Chair, Earl Gohl, said the commission was in the business of, “growing jobs.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Houlka Cornbread Festival set for Oct. 8 August 17, 2016
- JASON BROOKS: CDF thanks picnic area donors August 21, 2016
- HUES names Students of the Week August 21, 2016
- Houston hammering out employee handbook August 22, 2016
- Houlka aldermen briefed on annexation August 22, 2016
- Man arrested on drug charges August 24, 2016
- Associate Degrees awarded at ICC for Spring 2016 August 24, 2016
- Lady Hilltoppers down East Webster, 2-1 August 24, 2016
- Houlka buys body cams for PD August 24, 2016
- Okolona man in custody after high speed chase August 23, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago