Touring sweet potato land
VARDAMAN – Folks in Calhoun County had guests last week and they toured the area for the sweetest treats around – sweet potatoes.
Sheila Freely, Director of the Calhoun County Economic Development Association, along with sweet potato growers, packers and shippers, welcomed members of the Appalachian Region Commission from Tupelo and Washington, D.C. and spent the day showing off Calhoun County’s most famous product.
The tour began at Sweet Potato Sweets in Vardaman and included a packing facility and site visits at local farms, concluding with a trip to the Bruce Farmer’s Market.
“We had a great county tour, including stops in Vardaman, Calhoun City and Bruce,” Freely said. “It was reported the ARC folks were impressed with our area and our potential for creating jobs.”
Freely said the visit was prompted by a desire by ARC representatives to promote local food consumption as well as new economic and employment opportunities.
ARC Federal Co-Chair, Earl Gohl, said the commission was in the business of, “growing jobs.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Getting a good start at school July 24, 2016
- Sundancer finishes first, again July 27, 2016
- Dr. Darrick Whitfield: Don’t be a slacker! July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- Tending to business July 30, 2016
- Praying for peace and unity July 30, 2016
- Okolona trustees approve summer programs July 29, 2016
- Houlka’s Tyreque Reed name Legion MVP July 28, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago