LETTER: Walter Chandler
I will start by telling you what I think of the situation in America as of May 15, 2012. As of Dec. 18, 2011, the total number of our servicemen killed in the Iraq nine-year war was 4,474 and the number wounded in action was 32,226 in the Iraq war.
The United States has spent $800 billion for the cost of the nine-year war. These costs are a drop in the bucket to the cost of medical care and compensation for the men who will require medical care at the government’s expense for the remainder of their lives. With the United States broke, we should have invested the money spent on the war to improve America.
Then after Iraq we sent troops to Afghanistan to fight and get killed in a country where Russia and many other countries saw that nothing was going to be accomplished by war there and they pulled their troops out. We need to give our servicemen a rest and bring them all home from Afghanistan. The United States is spending $2 billion a week for the war in Afghanistan.
Off and on ever since I came home in June 1946 from Japan after World War II, we have stuck our noses in every country’s business and sent our fine young servicemen into too many wars trying to police the whole world.
I could write, but I won’t, many more pages about how disturbed I am with our senators, representatives and presidents past and present for sending our troops to wars.
Robert Walter Chandler
U.S. Navy Veteran, World War II
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Learning to smile forever July 19, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Real men rise above the status quo July 23, 2016
- Please clean up the Carnegie Library July 23, 2016
- Getting a good start at school July 24, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago