Region’s jobless rate drops second straight month
The 16-county region recorded its second-lowest jobless rate of the year, based on preliminary figures provided by the Mississippi Department of Employment Security.
MDES’ revised figures showed July’s rate was 9.5 percent for the region; the preliminary numbers indicated a 9.3 percent jobless rate.
April has been the best month for the region so far, at 8.5 percent.
Earlier, the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics said the state’s unemployment rate was 8.4 percent. It’s the lowest state jobless rate since February 2009. Mississippi’s unemployment rate had initially been estimated at 8.5 percent in July, but that was revised up to 8.6 percent. The state jobless rate was 9.3 percent in August 2012.
The numbers – adjusted to cancel out normal seasonal changes – revealed the unemployment drop was due to a shrinking labor force.
That was the case in Northeast Mississippi, too.
In the region, Lafayette County (6.6 percent) had the lowest jobless rate, closely followed by Union County (6.7).
Ten of the 16 counties recorded rates under 10 percent. And from July to August, 10 counties had lower rates, three had higher rates, and the remaining three were unchanged.
For August, the number of initial unemployment insurance claims reached 10,205 statewide, compared to 12,042 a month earlier. Last August, the number of claims reached 11,0 00.
Continuing claims for August was 103,782, down from more than 112,000 in July, but nearly 15,000 less than a year earlier.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Solar Team trekking north in Solar Challenge 2016 July 21, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Dr. Darrick Whitfield: Don’t be a slacker! July 27, 2016
- Sundancer finishes first, again July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago