LOCAL FOCUS: T.M. Parks Sales
HOULKA – For more than 50 years T.M. Parks Sales has sold just about everything for home, farm and businesses to residents in and around Houlka.
Manager Gerald Fortner said it is more than a hardware store – but it does sell hardware – and it is more than a parts house – but it does sell parts.
“We got items to fix or repair just about every room in your house and most of the furnishings in it,” said Fortner. “We can also take care of the outside of your home, your shop and even your garden.”
Fortner said he started working at T.M. Parks more than 37-years ago.
“I used to come in here as a kid,” said Fortner. “They carried everything and this is where people came to shop if they needed something for their home or farm.”
T.M. Parks still carries hoes, shovels, seed, pesticide and weed-killer for the garden. They also carry a wide selection of belts for riding mowers and blades and parts for tillers, push mowers and weed-eaters.
The store on the square in downtown Houlka is also a certified Stihl chainsaw dealer.
“We have a paint department and can mix paint to match,” said Fortner. “We also sell paint brushes, caulk, spackling and the supplies for a quick and easy cleanup.”
Plumbers, carpenters, electricians and roofers working in the area know T.M. Parks can keep them on the job with a quick visit to the store just off Highway 32.
“People might be surprised at the plumbing fixtures we have and the electrical supplies we have in stock,” said Fortner. “We also sell a lot of quality, name-brand handtools.”
T.M. Parks also sells dog collars and pots and pans.
“We’ve got a little bit of everything,” said Fortner. “We’ve got people who have done business with us for years and they come to visit as much as to shop.”
Fortner pointed to a business permit dated 1960 that hangs on the wall of the spacious green building in downtown Houlka. He said customer service has always been at the center of this business.
“We tell people if they need something, we probably have got it, and if we don’t have it we can get it for you” said Fortner with a smile. “And if we can’t get it, you probably don’t need it anyway.”
Local Focus is a regular business feature of the Chickasaw Journal. Locally owned businesses wanting to be included in Local Focus should call the Chickasaw Journal at 456-3771.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- SENIOR SEASON 2017 April 16, 2017
- Spring is a time to grow April 20, 2017
- Houlka to open bids for new school April 20, 2017
- FLOYD INGRAM: Three big days in Spring April 20, 2017
- Three busted for possession of meth April 20, 2017
- Dollar General Ribbon Cutting April 23, 2017
- Certified Nurse Assistance Class seeks applicants April 23, 2017
- WEDDING: Stone/Fisackerly April 23, 2017
- TEACHER OF THE WEEK! April 22, 2017
- GLENN MOLETTE: America and shooting back April 22, 2017
- Winford White: I totally disagree with your schools consolidation...
- Winford White: That is good News for Okolona. Or shall we say, it...
- Winford White: I strongly agree! if someone can afford to pay a T...
- Winford White: Keep up the good works Chickasaw County because th...
- Winford White: Winford White, CPC - Winford's Consulting : It is...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago