DARRICK WHITFIELD: A Marriage that was built to last
“And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.”
Genesis 2:18 (KJV)
From the beginning of time, God made it clear that it is not good for His people to be alone (Gen. 2:18). God designed us to cooperate.
Throughout the Scriptures He speaks of His people as a community that accomplishes more together than separately. God did not create us as isolated individuals, each seeking to achieve our own goals. Rather, the success of our endeavors depends upon our interdependence. This is why He established the church and released His Holy Spirit to empower the community of believers to spread the gospel. We are to be a kingdom of priests (1 Pet. 2:9).
I read a story this past week about a neighborhood outside of Chicago. It was a nice, well kept, neighborhood – for a couple of years. But before too long, the roads began to crack and houses began to collapse. They called a team of inspectors in and the inspectors discovered that the entire neighborhood had been built on a garbage dump. The entire neighborhood was collapsing because it wasn’t built on a solid foundation.
In our text, the first need of man mentioned was his need of a companion. God did not give Adam another man for a companion but a woman. Adam had work to do and the tasks were greater than he alone could do, therefore, he needed assistance. So God gave him a woman to be his “help meet.”
Woman was made from the rib not the head (to be over man) or the foot (to be trampled on by man). But she was made from the rib to be loved and honored by man.
“Husbands, love your wives” (Colossians 3:19).
“Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honor unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, as being heirs together of the grace of life” (1 Peter 3:7).
If you were honest and would take your marriage and lay it alongside God’s marriage policy, would your marriage stand as one that was made in paradise?
Or, would you have to say that there is some “leaving and cleaving” that needs to take place in your relationship?
Is there some activity or pursuit that is coming between you and your spouse? Do you feel that you are one flesh ? What I am asking is that husbands and wives should take a long hard look at their relationships and then respond together, before the Lord and allow Him to have His way in your marriage.
Maybe you are married to an unbeliever, why not bring them to Jesus and talk to Him about that need?
Maybe the sizzle has begun to fizzle. Why not come before the Lord and ask Him to rekindle the flames that once burned so passionately. Bring your marriage to Jesus and let Him fix it if it is broken, let Him strengthen it if it is weak and let Him make it even better if it is already good.
Maybe your’e not even married, but you are concerned about the future and the person you will marry. Why not bring that need to the Lord? Singles, are there areas of your life that need to be brought under the Lord’s control? Please understand that everyone may not be married but God has a plan for everyone and part of that plan includes salvation, that is a constant for everyone.
Rev. Darrick Whitfield is pastor of Shady Grove M.B. Church, McCondy. His column is published regularly in the Chickasaw Journal.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- FSA offers livestock forage disaster relief October 14, 2016
- AP PREP POLL: Houston ranked No. 2 in 4A, Pontotoc No. 3 October 18, 2016
- Former Miss. state senator Irb Benjamin pleads guilty to bribery October 18, 2016
- Okolona battles but nipped by Wolverines October 19, 2016
- PREP ROUNDUP: Vardaman, Houlka, Louisville, Pontotoc October 19, 2016
- POLICE ROUNDUP: Charges upgraded following fatal accident October 21, 2016
- WEEK 10: High School Football Previews October 21, 2016
- Pilot Club to host pageant October 21, 2016
- Houlka reviews preliminary test scores October 21, 2016
- Number 8! October 20, 2016
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago