Hebron scores Homecoming win
The Hebron Eagles capped off Homecoming festivities Oct. 4 with a big win although they had already it pretty much secured by halftime.
The Eagles completed their first offensive drive with Collin Moore pushing across the goal line from two-yards out and Justin Gordon adding the conversion run for an 8-0 lead.
Gordon scored the next TD on a 16-yard run to put the Eagles up 14-0 in the first.
In the second quarter, quarterback Channing Tapley hit Drew Myatt for a 14-yard TD pass and Tapley ran in the conversion. Tapley then completed a 34-yard pass to Landon Hill for a touchdown to extend Hebron’s lead to 28-0 at the half.
Coach David Foster tried to put the brakes on in the second half, but Drew Myatt snagged an interception and returned it 83 yards for the final Hebron touchdown.
“You just can’t do anything about that,” Foster said. “You can’t tell a kid with an interception not to run.”
With the early lead, Foster was able to sub in players and with three starters out, his younger guys got good time on the field.
“We played a bunch of guys,” Foster said.
He also credited his offensive line for creating the scoring opportunities.
“Jesse (Moore), Troy (Arnold) and Joey (Ard) are my three interior linemen,” Foster said. “They had some good blocking.”
Tapley and Payton Griffin also saw time on the offensive line, “and blocked well.”
The win put Hebron at 1-0 in division play but the journey to playoffs is just beginning. The Eagles will host Kemper Academy in another division game Friday.
“They’re a good team,” Foster said. “It will be a big test for us. We’ll buckle down and get to work to get ready.”
By the numbers
Justin Gordon, 6 carries for 60 yards, 1 TD, 2 conversions
Collin Moore, 4 carries for 57 yards, 1 TD
Landon Hill, 5 carries for 72 yards, 2 receptions for 45 yards, 1 TD reception
Channing Tapley, 5 carries for 26 yards, 3-3 passing with 2 TD passes, 1 conversion
Brandon England, 5 carries for 62 yards
Drew Myatt, 1 TD reception
Drew Myatt, 7 tackles, 1 interception for TD
Troy Arnold, 12 tackles
Channing Tapley, 9 tackles
Drew Hill, 7 tackles
Collin Moore, 6 tackles
Jesse Moore, 5 tackles
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Learning to smile forever July 19, 2016
- Please clean up the Carnegie Library July 23, 2016
- Getting a good start at school July 24, 2016
- Culinary arts teacher opens up new world for students July 24, 2016
- Eaton Automotive finishes season July 26, 2016
- Weston Reed Foundation to offer free physicals July 26, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago