Crowds enjoy county rodeo
HOUSTON – The crowd turned out this weekend to see quilts, canned goods, a buckaroo rodeo and cowboys competing for cold hard cash.
Chickasaw County Ag Days wrapped up three days of fun with a ranch rodeo at the Chickasaw County Agri-Center.
“I was very please with the crowds and the event in general,” said Angie Abrams, Chickasaw County 4-H director and Ag Days coordinator. “We didn’t have any major glitches and I think everyone had a great time.”
Abrams said there has been a push for some time to develop a Chickasaw County Fair and this past weekend’s event may have been the first step.
“I think this showed there is interest in doing something like this on a bigger scale,” said Abrams. “We will meet in a week or two and get with everyone and we what happens.”
Abrams said the Buckaroo Rodeo for kids drew a good crowd on Friday night. She said felt the Celebrity Sorting on Friday night was well attended.
The Chickasaw Journal’s Lisa Voyles took First Place in Celebrity Sorting Saturday night with a time of 13.939-seconds. Linda Griffin took second place and James Pettit earned a third place ribbon.
“Some of our celebrities knew what they were doing and some didn’t,” said Abrams. “I want to point out our women did a lot better than the guys, but everyone had a lot of fun.”
Abrams said she was impressed with the exhibits that went on display on Thursday.
“The quilts and needlework just blew me away,” said Abrams. “We also had everything from unique candle holders to canned meat in a jar.
“It was all the stuff you would see at a county fair,” she said. “Chickasaw County has a lot of good cooks and some very talented craftsmen.”
Abrams also thanked the volunteers who worked the event and the Chickasaw County Agri-Center Committee.
“A lot of people worked hard to make this weekend happen,” said Abrams. “This is a great event for our community and all of Chickasaw County.”
Jenna Funderburk – 23 Blue Ribbons, 3 Red Ribbons, 8 Best of Show
Courtney Ruth – 1 Blue Ribbon, 1 Red Ribbon, 1 Best of Show
Amber Ruth – 2 Red Ribbons
Steven Cook – 1 Blue Ribbon 1 Best of Show
Jessi Rhodes – 2 Blue Ribbons, 3 Red Ribbons, 1 Best of Show
Savanna Rhodes – 1 Blue Ribbon
Pazli Dugard – 1 Blue Ribbon
Khenyia Williams – 1 Blue Ribbon, 2 Red Ribbons
LaNasia Moore – 1 Blue Ribbon, 3 Red Ribbons
Ann Henry – 15 Blue Ribbons, 3 Red Ribbons
Karyn Clark – 11 Red Ribbons, 2 Red Ribbons
Sandra Davis – 9 Red Ribbons, 1 Best in Show
Janie McGee – 5 Blue Ribbons, 1 Red Ribbon, 1 Best in Show
Doris Jean Carroll – 2 Blue Ribbons, 1 Best in Show
Sally Smith – 4 Blue Ribbons, 1 Best in Show
Kathy Funderburk – 3 Blue Ribbons, 1 Red Ribbon
Dianne Webster – 1 Blue Ribbon
Charlee Terrell – 11 Blue Ribbons, 3 Best in Show
CHICKASAW COUNTY RODEO
Ranch Rodeo Winners
1st Place – Bubba’s Boys: Bubba Eachols, Jake Pollard, Wyatt Pumphrey and Ty Miller
2nd Place – Hayseed Cowboy Church: Joey Moody, Tanner McCullum, Glen Bennett and Mark Cantrell
3rd Place – TCB: Tim Cook, Monty McIllwain, Jim McIlwain, Tommy Sanders
Barrel Race Winners
1D: 1st Kinta Atkins
2nd Kelsey Harmon
3rd Jessica Lancaster
2D: 1st Rebekah Brock
2nd Lauren Cantrell
3rd Tammy Neal
3D: 1st Taylor Cook
2nd Ashley Brasher
3rd Katie Lewis
5 & Under Winners:
Dummy Roping – Kately Lewis
Wild Cow Milking – Tucker Stroupe
Stick Horse Barrel Race – Brett Frazier
Bull Riding – Jase Burgess
Chicken Chase – Brett Frazier
6-8 Yr Old Winners:
Dummy Roping – Hayden Barnett
Wil Cow Milking – Bradley Johnson
Stick Horse Barrel Race – Maddox Clouse
Bull Riding – R.J. Utz
Chicken Chase – Matthew McGee
9-12 Yr Old Winners:
Dummy Roping – Jake Glusencamp
Wil Cow Milking – Zack Boren
Stick Horse Barrel Race – Jacob Pumphrey
Bull Riding – Ty Booth
Chicken Chase – JaCorey Golden
For more information about the Chickasaw County Ag Days or to make plans to attend next year’s show, please call Abrams at 456-4269 or stop by the Chickasaw County Extension offices on Lee Horn Drive.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- SONNY SCOTT: Religion, politics and my wife’s birthday December 3, 2016
- Spencer named HHS Student of Month December 7, 2016
- Bulldogs make St. Petersburg Bowl December 7, 2016
- Houston falters against Cal. City December 7, 2016
- The men in charge December 7, 2016
- Margaret Hollingsworth recipes December 10, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: What color is homelessness? December 10, 2016
- HUES names Students of the Week December 9, 2016
- Area students graduate ICC December 9, 2016
- Tis the season to recycle December 9, 2016
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago