James N. Ballard Jr.
OKOLONA – James Nash Ballard Jr., 79, died Saturday, Oct. 12, 2013, in route to North Mississippi Medical Center. He was born April 9, 1934, in Lee County to Nash Ballard Sr. and Dovie Taylor Ballard.
As a youngster during the Korean Conflict, he served honorably in the U.S. Army. He worked early in life for the Lyric Theatre and 78 Drive Inn and spent most of his working life in maintenance for several local concerns. A longtime member of New Hope Baptist Church near Plantersville, he had lived most of his life in Lee County except for a few years in Memphis and the last five years south of Okolona near his daughter. He enjoyed collecting knives, was an avid conversationalist and always showed interest in his family and friends.
Services will be 11 a.m. Monday, Oct. 14, at Tupelo Chapel of Holland Funeral Directors with Bro. Lowell Johnson officiating. Private burial will follow in Lee Memorial Park.
Survivors include his two daughters, Barbara Ballard Benson and husband, Randy of Brewer and Debbie Ballard Bowen and husband, Leslie of Okolona; the mother of his daughters, Nona Wayne Huffman McBunch of Nettleton; five grandchildren, Angela Smith (Chris), Scott Benson, Lance Bowen (Lorri), Shane Bowen (Heather) and Derek Bowen (Vanessa), 10 great-grandchildren; and one great-great-grandchild; his sister, Joan Bennett (Charlie) of Nettleton; and his brother, William “Billy” Ballard of the Tater Hills Community.
He was preceded in death by his parents, Nash and Dovie Ballard; and his wife, Margaret Ballard on Jan. 12, 2013.
Visitation will be from 3 to 5 p.m. Sunday and from 10 a.m. until service time Monday, all at Tupelo Chapel.
Condolences may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Solar Team trekking north in Solar Challenge 2016 July 21, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Dr. Darrick Whitfield: Don’t be a slacker! July 27, 2016
- Sundancer finishes first, again July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago