FORT MYERS, Fla. – Claude Elon “Tommy” Thomas, 95, died Saturday, Oct. 12, 2013, at his home. A husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather, he was born in Houlka on Oct. 28, 1917, the son of Claude E. Thomas Sr. and Clara Brown. He attended Drawn Business College in Memphis until World War II was declared. He enlisted in the U.S. Army and fought in the European Theatre with Gen. Patton. At the war’s end he began his 30-year career with the Georgia Department of Labor. While employed, he continued his college education, as well as serving as an Army Reservist.
When the Korean War began in 1950, he was called to active duty in Korea where he served until 1953. In 1977, he and his wife, Rebecca, moved to Fort Myers to begin a new career with the Florida Department of Labor under Lee County manager Levon Wisher. He retired a second time after eight years as director.
He is survived by his wife of 71 years, Rebecca Waites Thomas; three daughters, Jean T. Mavrlis (Mark) of Fort Myers, Susan T. Pressly (Jim) of Lake Wylie, S.C., and Deborah T. Howard of Mount Pleasant, S.C.; nine grandchildren; and 14 great-grandchildren.
Services and entombment were in Fort Myers, Fla. Fort Myers Memorial Gardens Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.
Condolences and memories may be left online at www.fortmyersmemorial.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- TOPPER PRIDE: Houston High School PTO forms, host fundraiser. November 25, 2016
- Rams looking for continued improvement November 30, 2016
- Egg Bowl notebook 2016 November 30, 2016
- Houlka leaning on veteran leadership November 30, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Shop local December 1, 2016
- Students chosen for Who’s Who at ICC December 2, 2016
- Christmas parades are next week December 2, 2016
- Okolona shines at Lighthouse Classic December 1, 2016
- Okolona airport lands grant December 1, 2016
- HUES names Students of the Week December 1, 2016
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago