BOONEVILLE – Rufus Earl Millsaps, 86, died Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2013, at Baptist Memorial Hospital in Booneville. He was born Aug. 26, 1927, in Pittsboro to Rufus Edgar Millsaps and Trudie Mae Rasberry Millsaps.
He enlisted Aug. 14, 1945, in the U.S. Navy and was honorably discharged with the rank of seaman first class. He then enlisted in the U.S. Army, serving as marksman instructor and was honorably discharged with the rank of sergeant first class tech. He was awarded the Purple Heart and other citations.
He entered Civil Service in 1955, working for the Department of Defense at Brookley AFB in Mobile, Ala. He retired in 1982 as Supervisory Security Specialist at Robins AFB in Warner Robins, Ga. He served his nation in these capacities for 34 years, 11 months and 10 days.
He was ordained a deacon in December 1963 by Riverside Baptist Church in Mobile, Ala., and subsequently served in Alabama, Georgia and Mississippi as a deacon at each church where he was a member. He was a Christian and a member of First Baptist Church of Booneville where he was a member of the Isaac Sunday school class and The Joymakers group. He was a member of the William Gray Chapter of the National Society of the Sons of the American Revolution and the Col. W.P. Rogers Camp of the Sons of Confederate Veterans. He loved and served his Lord, his family, his neighbors and his country.
Services with military honors will be at 2 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 24, at Booneville Funeral Home Chapel with Dr. Bill Duncan and the Rev. Jason Dukes officiating. Burial will be in Booneville Cemetery.
He is survived by his wife of 61 years, Ila Pearl Ray Millsaps, whom he married Nov. 8, 1952; a daughter, Rebecca West (David) of Booneville; three grandchildren, Ray Bob Millsaps, Elizabeth Ann West and Stephanie Williford (Joey), all of Booneville; three great-grandchildren, Abigail, Joseph and Isabel Williford, all of Booneville; two sisters-in-law, Ann Davis Millsaps of Mantee and Annie Ruth Millsaps of Greenwood; two stepbrothers, Rev. Jackie Cooke (Susan) and Glenn Cooke (Charlotte); and two stepsisters, Barbara Moseley (Bill) and Erma Arnold.
He was preceded in death by his parents; a son, Earl Ray Millsaps; three brothers, his twin, Richard Zearl Millsaps, and Gene Austin Millsaps and Thomas Edgar Millsaps; and his stepfather, Edward Forrest Cooke.
Pallbearers are Blake Johnson, Preston Sullivan, Dr. James Stanley Long, Philip Sullivan, Roy Gray, Richard Sullivan and Jerry Ivy.
Honorary pallbearers are the men of the Isaac Sunday School Class of First Baptist Church.
Memorials may be made to St. Jude Children’s Hospital, P.O. Box 1000, Dept. 142, Memphis, TN 38101-9908 or The Baptist Children’s Village, P.O. Box 27, Clinton, MS 39060.
Visitation will be from 11 a.m. until service time Thursday.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- FSA offers livestock forage disaster relief October 14, 2016
- AP PREP POLL: Houston ranked No. 2 in 4A, Pontotoc No. 3 October 18, 2016
- Former Miss. state senator Irb Benjamin pleads guilty to bribery October 18, 2016
- Okolona battles but nipped by Wolverines October 19, 2016
- PREP ROUNDUP: Vardaman, Houlka, Louisville, Pontotoc October 19, 2016
- POLICE ROUNDUP: Charges upgraded following fatal accident October 21, 2016
- WEEK 10: High School Football Previews October 21, 2016
- Pilot Club to host pageant October 21, 2016
- Houlka reviews preliminary test scores October 21, 2016
- Number 8! October 20, 2016
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago