Toppers fall to Knights
The Hilltoppers didn’t get the results they wanted from a long road trip to West Lauderdale, but they still have their heads up heading into the last game of the regular season and senior night this Friday.
“The season is not over,” said coach William Cook.
The Toppers were in Collinsville last week to take on the Knights of West Lauderdale, taking a 26-7 division loss. Houston scored in the third quarter as Zach White completed a drive, crossing the goal line and Wes Parker put up the successful point after.
Garrison Howell went 12-27 in passing for 137 yards, White led in rushing yards with 29 and Denver McQuary led in receiving yards with 87.
On defense, Tay Bowden led with eight tackles, followed by Nathan Smith and Kevonte Marble with six each.
Damien Fields, J.J. Brownlee, Devin Murphy and McQuary each had a sack in the game.
Despite the loss, there is still plenty of wiggle room in the division for Houston to earn a playoff berth.
The Toppers (1-3) host Noxubee County (4-0) Friday and a win would help push them toward post-season. Leake County (1-3) will host Caledonia (0-4) and a Leake loss would definitely benefit the Houston team.
“We’ve just got to show up to play,” Cook said. “Keep improving each week and finish the season strong.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- MHSAA reclassifications announced November 28, 2016
- Students chosen for Who’s Who at ICC December 2, 2016
- Dr. Willis named AAN Fellow December 2, 2016
- Hunter orange strictly enforced December 2, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Religion, politics and my wife’s birthday December 3, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Are schools worth fighting for? December 4, 2016
- Locals named ICC Foundation scholars December 4, 2016
- DAVID HORN: We the people have voted for change December 4, 2016
- REV. DARRICK WHITFIELD: How to be wise December 4, 2016
- Turman, Archer inducted to Phi Kappa Phi December 3, 2016
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago