EW closes season shy of playoff bid
Doug Wilson knew this season would be a challenge.
With five tough teams battling for four playoff positions, someone’s season was going to end too soon.
“There was just no way to prevent a good team from missing the playoffs this year,” Wilson said following a 35-18 loss to Eupora that ended the season for his Wolverines.
The Wolverines had an extremely good start to the 2013 season, racking up a 6-0 record in non-division play and showing well in division play, just not quite well enough.
The Wolverines fell to Okolona, Calhoun City and Bruce and had to have a win over Eupora to secure their berth. At the end of the Nov. 1 game, it was not to be, but the Cumberland boys “never-say-die” attitude showed all the way through. Their loss-margin was a total of only 39 points, 6.5 touchdowns, through all four division games.
For Wilson, the end of the season is bittersweet at best.
“It’s hard to explain,” Wilson said. “The bottom line is we are very proud of the effort our kids gave us all year, from the first to the last game. We really can’t ask for a better group of kids to work with. Our senior class was a great group of leaders and will be missed. With all that said, we are very disappointed in the way things turned out. Our district really was tough.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- GWENDOLYN PEARSON: Tourism tax and internet service March 26, 2017
- Houston seeks to climb the mountain March 22, 2017
- CARA CHISOLM: Get involved in your Library March 26, 2017
- FLOYD INGRAM: All politics is local March 27, 2017
- MSU Extension offers Horse Management 101 March 27, 2017
- Wildcats blanked by Smithville March 29, 2017
- Next stop! Final Four in Dallas March 29, 2017
- Okolona man held in Shannon shooting March 28, 2017
- POLITICAL ANNOUNCEMENTS March 28, 2017
- Orientation leaders named March 28, 2017
- Patricia Burgess Cossey: This is to address the Tourism Tax. I recently hea...
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago