Skelton leads team to victory
A new Pigskin Pickers champion was crowned following a close, ten-week competition.
Sam Skelton, newest coach of the Sav-a-Lot team, had a challenge before him, as his team had won the championship in 2010 and 2011, placing second to the Houston Check Cashers team in 2012.
Skelton and his stable rose to the occasion, posting a 77-23 overall record and reclaiming the title.
But it wasn’t a runaway by any means and Skelton had plenty of competition from the other teams on the field.
Gene Childs led the Houston Banking Center team to a 74-26 record and a second place finish, improving significantly from fifth place in 2012.
The Houston Check Cashers team, captained by Rebecca Shaw, fell to third place but with a very positive record of 73-27. Shaw, a scrappy competitor and avid statistician, is expected back on the field next season to try to take back her title from 2012.
Newcomer Patrick Pearson made a name for the Pearson’s Drugs team, sliding in the fourth place position on his first outing with a record of 71-29.
Rounding out the field and finishing neck-and-neck were Todd Kilgore and the K-N-K team (59-41), Neil Alford and the Chickasaw Equipment team (59-41), Jason Brooks and the Watkins, Ward and Stafford team (58-42) and Jerry Morgan of the Okolona Pharm team (57-43).
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Support for Solar Car July 22, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Weston Reed Foundation to offer free physicals July 26, 2016
- Houlka’s Tyreque Reed name Legion MVP July 28, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago