Vardaman revels in 40th annual festival
The annual event, which takes its name from the sweet potatoes grown in surrounding fields, draws state and national attention and is billed as one of the nicer small festivals in the country.
“It’s all about sweet potatoes and Vardaman,” said Kim Kendall, owner of Timberville, a clothing store in downtown Vardaman. “As you can see the streets are packed and the store is packed. We love it.”
Maxine Blue, co-chairman of the Sweet Potato Festival with her husband Jim, said the weather was perfect and they had a wide variety of booths at this year’s festival.
“I think this was the largest one we have had in several years as far as people on the streets,” said Blue. “I know the crowd was larger than last year.”
Kendall said her store uses the Sweet Potato Festival to get a jump on the holiday buying season.
“If we have good sales at the Sweet Potato Festival we usually have a good fall,” said Kendall. “It’s right after Halloween and we promote people going ahead and getting started on their Christmas shopping.”
And Saturday’s crowds looked to be in a buying mood.
“Things went very well and there were no major problems,” said Blue. “People were buying from the booths, the food is always good, we had top-notch entertainment and we sold boxes and boxes of sweet potatoes.”
Vardaman has a population of about 2,600. Blue estimated the crowd at between 12,000 and 14,000, but admitted she could have missed somebody.
“People come back home to Vardaman every year to be part of this,” said Blue. “We start working on this in August and we couldn’t do it without the volunteers. This truly is a community event and that is part of the reason it is so successful.”
Blue said the event is also a giant fundraiser for local churches, organizations and schools.
“The fire department always lets someone cook the barbecue chicken and this year it was the booster club from the school,” said Blue. “The Sweet Potato Festival does a lot to help a lot of people in this community.”
Car tags could be seen from as far away as Harrison and DeSoto counties on the cars parked bumper to bumper on U.S. Highway 8. Tags from Georgia, Tennessee, Texas and North Carolina were also spotted.
The Sweet Potato Festival continues this week with beauty pageants for different age groups. The event wraps up Saturday with the Sweet Potato Festival Banquet at Vardaman Gym.
For information about the Vardaman Sweet Potato Festival, call 662-682-7559.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Dendy’s named Man, Woman of the Year July 17, 2016
- Nabors named top home improvement store in state July 18, 2016
- ICC offers manufacturing program July 20, 2016
- Solar Team trekking north in Solar Challenge 2016 July 21, 2016
- Houston’s Kinard honored by PTK July 21, 2016
- Homegrown and Houston proud July 23, 2016
- ICC registration underway July 22, 2016
- Hebron honors hoop champions July 22, 2016
- Houston, Houlka, Okolona districts get “C” July 22, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Support for Solar Car July 22, 2016
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- LindaWando390: Valuable article , Speaking of which , if one has ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago