WHEELER – Herschel Conwell Coggins, “”Coach Coggins,”” 80 died Monday, Nov. 11, 2013, at his residence in the Wheeler community where he had lived most of this life. He was born Feb. 8, 1933, to Essie Hill Coggins and Herman Coggins.
He married Marilyn Miller Coggins on July 25, 1952. He graduated from Wheeler High School in 1952, attended Northeast Junior College and received his B.S. degree in Social Studies and P.E. from Mississippi State University in 1959. He served his country in the U.S. Navy for four years, 1952-1956. He then taught school and coached basketball at Houlka, Belmont, Wheeler and Saltillo for the next 18 years. Then he worked for the Mississippi Department of Agriculture with 32 years of service in Mississippi.
He was a member of First Baptist Church in Booneville and a former member of Wheeler Baptist Church where he taught Sunday school for many years. After retirement, he loved taking care of his cattle and donkeys. He made several trips to the farm daily. He loved the Lord, his wife, family and was very patriotic. He was an avid SEC sports fan and was a true MSU Bulldog. He also had a special love for basketball and all his former players as well as his former students.
Services with military honors were at 2 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 13, at Waters Funeral Home in Baldwyn. Dr. Johnny Hancock will officiate and Lonnie Murphy will deliver the eulogy. Burial will be in the Prentiss Memorial Gardens.
Survivors include his wife of 61 years, Marilyn Coggins; one son, Rev. Joe Coggins (Dorothy) of Houlka; one daughter Terry Garner (Mitchell) of Wheeler; four grandchildren, Jessica Harris (Jeremy), Nathan Garner (Miranda), Morgan Coggins and Ashley Garner; and two great-grandchildren, John Wyatt Harris and Mason Garner.
He was preceded in death by his parents and one infant brother.
Pallbearers will include: Nathan Garner, Jeremy Harris, Max Miller, Robert Bobo, Kevin King and Mack Garner. Honorary pallbearers will be Nelson Ryan, Joe Wayne Garner, Bobby Nichols, Billy Bennett, Jerry Keeton, Mike Anderson, Bobby Ryan and all his former ball players.
Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Thursday at the funeral home.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to First Baptist Church-Booneville, 401 W. Church St. or Wheeler Baptist Church, 2 County Road 5110, Booneville.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Dendy’s named Man, Woman of the Year July 17, 2016
- Nabors named top home improvement store in state July 18, 2016
- ICC offers manufacturing program July 20, 2016
- Solar Team trekking north in Solar Challenge 2016 July 21, 2016
- Houston’s Kinard honored by PTK July 21, 2016
- Homegrown and Houston proud July 23, 2016
- ICC registration underway July 22, 2016
- Hebron honors hoop champions July 22, 2016
- Houston, Houlka, Okolona districts get “C” July 22, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Support for Solar Car July 22, 2016
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- LindaWando390: Valuable article , Speaking of which , if one has ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago