Support for Solar Car
And with that in mind we want to thank the local VFW Chapter, the Lowndes County Chapter and the State VFW for recently giving this program a check for $10,000.
The Houston Solar Car team headed to Fort Worth, Texas this summer to race to Los Angeles, California. And they proudly represented this community and this state every inch of the way.
Did we point out this was their 13th year and they have won first place in this high-tech, national competition the previous 13 years?
Most people around here know these facts. And after more than a dozen years most people around her just expect our team to load up and go win it all.
But it is not that easy.
Houston did not field a girl’s solar car team this year. Financial constraints forced the boys and girls teams to combine and race one car.
Did we point out our girls team won their division in 2012 with a last-day finish that would have thrilled any NASCAR fan?
Racing at any level can be expensive.
We want to take this opportunity to thank those who have bankrolled the Houston Solar Car team year after year. We urge your continued support of this program that teaches excellence and carries this town’s good name across this country and the world.
But there is a need for our community to re-invest in this program.
It does not need to be a small group of supporters who finance a team that represents us all.
We urge past supporters of the Houston Solar Car program to once again consider putting their name on the car as a full-fledged and committed sponsor. We want to urge individuals to consider putting their name on a check – for any amount — and helping a youngster make the race.
We urge our school district, our city, our county and even our state to look for ways to financially support our solar car. You are the ones who truly benefit.
The Houston Solar Car program is one of the things this community does best. We need to support it with our hearts and our wallets.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Dendy’s named Man, Woman of the Year July 17, 2016
- Nabors named top home improvement store in state July 18, 2016
- Tiny Houses July 16, 2016
- Solar Team trekking north in Solar Challenge 2016 July 21, 2016
- Houston’s Kinard honored by PTK July 21, 2016
- Please clean up the Carnegie Library July 23, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Real men rise above the status quo July 23, 2016
- Homegrown and Houston proud July 23, 2016
- ICC registration underway July 22, 2016
- Hebron honors hoop champions July 22, 2016
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- LindaWando390: Valuable article , Speaking of which , if one has ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago