ICC falls in soccer semi-finals
A historic season for the ICC men’s soccer team came to an end Saturday with a 3-1 loss to Hinds in the state semi-finals. Pontotoc’s Brayden Timmons and Piercen Burchfield were big parts of the Indians ‘ success, which included the program’s first ever North division title.
However, another former Warrior, Hind’s Will Pearson, will see his season continue.
The quest for a 10 th Mississippi Association of Community and Junior Colleges (MACJC) state championship slipped just out of the grasp of Pearson and Hinds, as the Eagles dropped a 1-0 contest to Pearl River Community College in the men’s state title game in Raymond.
Trey Wesson scored the game’s only goal with 27:18 remaining in the second half to give Pearl River the slim victory in what proved to be an offensive struggle for both teams all day.
The silver lining for the Eagles is that the 2013 season will still go on for them, as Hinds (7-8-4) is set to host Tyler (Texas) Junior College on Friday at 6 p.m. in a play-in game for a shot at the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) national tournament.
One of the keys to the Eagles’ success has been the steady play of Pearson, a goalkeeper who actually transferred to Hinds from ICC.
“It is a just a testament to how well we have bonded,” Pearson said of team’s play down the stretch. “We are like a family on the field. We work well together.
“Coach has like four roles or rules for each position that you play within the game, and if you do your jobs then that’s all you can do. We have fun playing the game.”
Pearson said it was exciting to play against his former teammates, but friendly feeling went away once the game started.
“It was fun,” Pearson. “I looked forward to playing against them and showing I could do, but really once the game started they were just part of another team.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- ICC concert choir performs Monday October 16, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Demanding excellence October 20, 2016
- Fall Fun and Games Day is Friday October 20, 2016
- Number 8! October 20, 2016
- Houlka reviews preliminary test scores October 21, 2016
- BIRTH: Kinsely Brooke Dodd October 23, 2016
- WEDDING: Nichols/Moss October 23, 2016
- Houlka hosts senior assembly October 22, 2016
- WEEK 10: High School Football Scores October 22, 2016
- What color is homelessness? October 22, 2016
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago