Lady Toppers start positive
The Lady Toppers are off to a positive start early in the hard court season, entering the week with a record of 3-1.
The Houston girls knocked down two wins against South Pontotoc and Eupora to start off the season and split games last week in the Pontotoc tournament.
The Lady Topers fell to Ripley 60-41 on Thursday, putting themselves in a hole in the first half.
“They missed several layups and free throws and made turnovers to end the half with a 20-point deficit,” said coach Vernessa Gates.
The girls got back on track on the second half, outscoring Ripley in both the third and fourth periods, but just couldn’t make up the difference.
On Saturday, the Houston girls came out with a win over North Pontotoc, 46-41, with LaShari Free pacing the Lady Toppers with 18 points and Candace Woodhouse putting up 13.
Toppers struggle in early season
The Hilltoppers are still trying to find their footing in the early season, but coach Orlando Randle sees a lot of promise on the floor.
“The team has a lot of potential,” Randle said. “But we don’t have a lot of experience. Our first two games had disappointing outcomes, but we are learning a lot and gaining some valuable experience.”
The Toppers lost a close, 54-57, match to South Pontotoc earlier this month and fell 30-89 to Pontotoc in tournament action last week.
“Our kids have done a great job learning from mistakes and keeping a positive attitude that will allow them to compete at a high level,” Randle said. “We are just experiencing some growing pains.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- SONNY SCOTT: Religion, politics and my wife’s birthday December 3, 2016
- ICC Band Chickasaw December 6, 2016
- Spencer named HHS Student of Month December 7, 2016
- Bulldogs make St. Petersburg Bowl December 7, 2016
- Houston falters against Cal. City December 7, 2016
- HUES names Students of the Week December 9, 2016
- Area students graduate ICC December 9, 2016
- Tis the season to recycle December 9, 2016
- Food For Families drop off is Friday December 8, 2016
- Chickasaw dodges storm December 8, 2016
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago