Chiefs top Nettleton to start season
The Okolona Chieftains opened the 2013-14 season on a positive note, taking a 76-73 win over the Nettleton Tigers in a battle all four quarters.
Nettleton scored first as Kaleb Gilbert connected on two from the line and Dre Sharp took a steal to the hole. After trailing 0-6, the Chieftains regrouped with Zack Stevens getting a putback and Cyrus Kyles hitting one from the line. Kyles hit three of four from the charity stripe on a personal foul to take a Chieftain lead and added two more on his next trip.
But the Tigers got back in the game and Chris Long’s bucket tied it at 8-8. Sharp’s dish to Long put the Tigers in the lead and Long turned another steal into another bucket to go up 9-13 over the Chiefs.
The Chiefs turned up their game a notch with Javon Smith hitting a free throw, Jacolbi Heard sinking one and Michael Coker dishing to Kyles to draw the Chiefs within two points.
Kyles dished to Smith for a duece and hit two more from the line to tie it 17-all in the first and set the tone for the remainder of the game.
The Chiefs and Tigers battled back and forth with the Tigers posting a big 29-point third quarter, but the Chiefs getting the 76-73 win.
The win opened the Chieftains season while putting Nettleton at 1-1.
Kyles led for Okolona with 22, followed by Curtis Green with 15 and Heard with 10.
Long led for Nettleton wtih 24, followed by Kendall Gardner with 13 and Armond Smith with 11.
Lady Tigers trip up Lady Chiefs
The Lady Chieftains hosted the Lady Tigers to begin the night and had a hard time getting their offense off the ground.
Nettleton came out with two quick baskets and Okolona got two quick steals by Myeisha Parker and Artashia Gates, but couldn’t convert either one. Nettleton’s Jabria Pounds’ free throw closed the first quarter with the Lady Tigers up 3-10.
The Lady Tigers opened the second quarter strong with Brittany Adams getting a steal for a goal and Raven Lowe getting a rebound for a putback, but the Lady Chiefs stayed alive on free throws.
Parker hit for one and De’lgee Hicks hit for two and dished to Breanna Griffin for another bucket. But the Lady Tigers kept a more consistent shooting game and sailed on to a 62-36 win.
Griffin led for Okolona with ten points while Pounds paced all shooters with 14 and Corian Whitfield added 11 for the Lady Tigers.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Holiday crisis, again? November 26, 2016
- Community gives thanks December 1, 2016
- HUES names Students of the Week December 1, 2016
- Okolona airport lands grant December 1, 2016
- Okolona shines at Lighthouse Classic December 1, 2016
- Una Thanksgiving December 3, 2016
- Houlka Thanksgiving December 3, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Religion, politics and my wife’s birthday December 3, 2016
- Hunter orange strictly enforced December 2, 2016
- Dr. Willis named AAN Fellow December 2, 2016
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago