OKOLONA – Charles “”Buddy”” Hays, 65, died Thursday, Nov. 21, 2013, at his residence in Okolona. He was born July 9, 1948, to Romie and Flora Weeks Hays.
He was a member of Union Chapel Baptist Church. He was a graduate of Shannon High School and continued his education at Itawamba Community College and Mississippi State University. He was owner of Hays Trucking, LLC and Hays Farms, LLC in Okolona. He had previously been owner and manager of Sonic Drive In for more than 10 years. He loved fishing and hunting, especially with his children and grandchildren. He enjoyed working with cows and being out in the fields with his sons.
A service honoring Buddy’s life will be at 2 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 24, 2013, in the Okolona Chapel of Holland Funeral Directors with Bro. Kerry Powell and Bro. Ralph Cain officiating. Private burial will follow in Union Chapel Baptist Church Cemetery. Visitation will be Saturday evening from 5 until 8 p.m. in the Okolona Chapel.
Survivors include his wife of almost 45 years, Cheryl Hays of Okolona; two sons, Romie Hays (Amy) and John Hays (Amanda), all of Okolona; one daughter, Mary Elizabeth “”Beth”” of Okolona; seven grandchildren, Katie Hays, Kara Hays, John Brently Hays, Mary Margaret Hays, Charlie Hays, Laney Hays and James Marlin Hays; and several nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents; and sisters, Martha Dallas, Gloria Wood, Betty Brashier and Sarah Purcell.
Pallbearers will be Carol Homan, Buddy Jones, Joey Tackett, Tommy Moore, Mitch Minniece, Michael Fowler, Kerry Powell and Eugene “”Peewee”” Oswalt. Honorary pallbearers will be Dr. Donald K. Smith, Rob Wells, Bradly Pruitt, Bart Houser, Michael Westmoreland, Andy Pepper, Junior Roberts, Swain Angle, Bobby McVay, Carruth Wilson, Jamie Eubanks and Scott Cummins.
Special “”Thanks”” to North Mississippi Medical Center Home Health and Hospice for the compassionate care of Buddy.
Memorials may be made to Union Chapel Baptist Church Cemetery Fund, P.O. Box 33, Shannon, MS 38868 or St. Jude Children’s Hospital, 501 St. Jude Place, Memphis, TN 3810
Condolences may be emailed to email@example.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Okolona debuts new football field September 20, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Economic Fun September 23, 2016
- WEEK 6: High School Football Capsules September 23, 2016
- Shooting at Randolph Post Office under investigation September 23, 2016
- Is Hillary’s health our biggest problem? September 24, 2016
- A place called Houston September 26, 2016
- Chickasaw County legislator was near New York terrorist attack September 26, 2016
- MDOC postpones strict visitation rules September 26, 2016
- HUES names Students of the Week September 25, 2016
- Houston to host WMU fall meeting September 25, 2016
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago