Lady Toppers handle Lady Trojans
The Lady Toppers kept their early season record in positive numbers Nov. 22 as they controlled the floor for a 44-36 win over the Lady Trojans of Bruce.
Houston led by ten through the half and came back after the break determined to stay ahead through a balanced floor and a team effort.
“One thing that’s different this year is they’re not depending on one player to score,” said coach Vernessa Gates. “They’re all working on getting their shots.”
Bruce’s Lakerria Holland openend the third with a bucket and picked up a foul. Although she missed from the charity stripe, she got her own rebound and put back to close the Lady Trojans to within six but a rebound and deuce from LaShari Free and one from the line from Candace Woodhouse kept the Houston girls on track. Travionna Echoles’ steal for a score and another deuce from Free put the Lady Toppers ahead 35-27 to close the frame.
In the fourth, Amber Frison got a steal for a score to open the quarter and the Lady Toppers played a controlled game, burning up the clock and drawing fouls from the Lady Trojans. Ashley Conner hit four from the line to pad the Houston girl’s lead and they kept the Lady Trojans out of the offensive game for the win.
Toppers win over Trojans
On the boy’s side of the court, the Toppers and Trojans battled through the first quarter with Houston’s J. J. Brownlee putting up the first points on a free throw and Bruce’s Jamerron Johnson responding with a deuce. Bruce’s Donta Armstrong got the steal for a bucket and the Trojan lead, but Brownlee dished to Caleb Morgan in the post for a score and Chase Eldridge tied it from the line. The Toppers led 10-9 at the close of the first, but extended their lead to 27-23 in the second with help from Deontae Pratt’s trey and stayed strong for the win over Bruce in non-division play.
Both teams will break for Thanksgiving and will be back on the court hosting East Webster Dec. 3.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- FSA offers livestock forage disaster relief October 14, 2016
- AP PREP POLL: Houston ranked No. 2 in 4A, Pontotoc No. 3 October 18, 2016
- Former Miss. state senator Irb Benjamin pleads guilty to bribery October 18, 2016
- Okolona battles but nipped by Wolverines October 19, 2016
- PREP ROUNDUP: Vardaman, Houlka, Louisville, Pontotoc October 19, 2016
- WEEK 10: High School Football Previews October 21, 2016
- Pilot Club to host pageant October 21, 2016
- Houlka reviews preliminary test scores October 21, 2016
- Number 8! October 20, 2016
- Fall Fun and Games Day is Friday October 20, 2016
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago