WEST POINT – Elbert Auvergne “”Smitty”” Smith, 86, passed away Wednesday, Nov. 27, 2013, at his home in West Point. He was born April 24, 1927, in Mantee to Jessie Etoil Murrah Smith and Perry Elbert Smith.
He was retired from Babcock & Wilcox, where he worked in maintenance. He was a member of Calvary Baptist Church and a veteran of the U.S. Army. He married Helen May Towery Smith on June 14, 1947, in West Point.
Services will be at 3 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 30, at Calvert Funeral Home Chapel with the Rev. Roy Myers officiating and Dr. James Towery assisting. Burial will follow in Memorial Garden Cemetery at West Point. Calvert Funeral Home of West Point is in charge of arrangements.
Survivors include his wife, Helen Towery Smith of West Point; one son, Charles Elbert Smith (Pam) of Pinckney, Mich.; one sister, Kathryne Moore of West Point.
In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his brother, Jessie Harmon Smith, and two sisters Stella Elizabeth Smith and Betty Smith.
Pallbearers will be George Pearson, Carl Shirley, Larry Moore, Dr. Robert Young, Herb Ingram, Ken Wilbourne and Rob Wilbourne.
Honorary pallbearers will be members of the Big Buck Hunting Club, the Silver Thin Hair Sunday School Class and his former co-workers at Babcock & Wilcox.
Memorials may be made to American Cancer Society, P.O. Box 8217, Jackson, MS 39284 or to the donor’s choice.
Visitation will be from 1 until 3 p.m. Saturday at Calvert Funeral Home.
Friends may leave an online condolence at www.calvertfuneralhome.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Solar Team trekking north in Solar Challenge 2016 July 21, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Dr. Darrick Whitfield: Don’t be a slacker! July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago